Melbourne Holds Title In Australia For Having Most Number Of People Suffering From Eating Disorders
By Afza Fathima | September 3, 2014 6:22 PM EST
New statistics show that Melbourne is the top electorate in Australia which has the maximum number of reports of those suffering from eating disorders between the ages of 5 and 25, with 3,174 cases.
Contestant Sonya Thomas competes in the annual Nathan's Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest at Coney Island in the Brooklyn borough of New York July 4, 2014. Hurricane Arthur dampened many Independence Day plans but didn't wash out the annual Nathan's Famous Fourth of July International Hot Dog-Eating Contest in Coney Island, New York, where a slate of men and women professional eaters competed for purses of $20,000.
Victorian electorates constitute more than half of the nation's trouble spots. Among the top ten anorexia hotspots, Victoria occupied five, Queensland two and one each for the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales and Western Australia, reported Daily Mail.
Fraser in Australian Capital Territory has 2,911 cases, followed by Lalor in Victoria with 2,843 cases. Next comes Holt in Victoria and Ryan in Queensland, both with 2,606 cases, followed by Gorton in Victoria and Rankin in Queensland with 2,536 and 2,432 cases, respectively.
It was also noted that a lot of women are developing eating disorders due to societal pressure to lose weight quickly after pregnancy. Most of them are new mothers and those going through menopause and are getting affected by it.
Christine Morgan, director of the Butterfly Foundation, said that societal pressures along with fixation on dieting as well as celebrity mothers who lose weight quickly after pregnancy leads to poisoning of the minds of young women to becoming anorexic, bulimic or suffer from binge eating disorder.
She continued that it was sad to see but women who had just given birth give a lot of emphasis on how quickly they can lost their pregnancy weight. She also added that once women hit menopause, the body usually ends up putting on some weight, and this leads to women giving in to eating disorders.
A Melbourne mother, Belinda Caldwell's daughter, has been suffering from anorexia nervosa since the age of 16. She told AAP that she slept in the same bad as her daughter for five months so that she could stop her from exercising compulsively. Three years down the line, her daughter has been recovering well.
One million Australians suffer from eating disorders and many of them don't admit to it. A few of the people take more than 15 years to reach out for help which reduces their chances of quick recovery.
The Foundation Forum at the Parliament House heard that one of five sufferers of anorexia commit suicide.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
Join the Conversation
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Danielle Watts Mistaken As Prostitute And Arrested; Accused Police of Racism
- Maria Menounos Lost 40 Pounds; She Follows a Low Carb Vegetarian Diet, Her Weight Loss and Fitness Secrets Revealed
- A Wife's Happiness is More Crucial Than Her Husband's For a Long Lasting, Happy Marriage, Finds Study
- Latest Study on One Million Sex Toy Sales Find What Turn the British On
- British Playboy Model Kerri Parker Said That She Became An Introvert Following A Brain Surgery
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date