Williams Sisters Bow Out Of US Open Women’s Doubles Competition, Serena Hurts Ankle Ahead of Quarterfinals Match Friday
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | September 3, 2014 6:02 PM EST
Serena Williams may just pay the price of chasing a U.S. Open Women's Doubles trophy.
Women's tennis' top ranked player injured her left ankle during Tuesday's match against the duo of Eketarina Makarova and Elena Vesnina. Serena and her sister Venus were eliminated from competition in the women's doubles event, 7-6 (5), 6-4 . With a quarterfinals match looming in the women's singles event, Serena Williams is staring at an injury which can cost her two opportunities to bring home another Grand Slam Trophy.
Serena (L) and Venus Williams of the U.S. react after their loss to Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina of Russia in their quarter-final doubles match at the 2014 U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York, September 2, 2014.
Serena Williams was visibly limping for much of the almost two-hour game against Makarova and Vesnina. Before the game commenced, her ankle was heavily wrapped and during the second set, she requested for a 10-minute medical relief. No post-game quotes can be extracted from the women's best player as the sisters forego of attending the media rounds after the game. A WTA official was sent to their locker room and all that they could get from Williams was that it was a minor detail that nobody had to fuzz about.
"Nothing to worry about, just a re-tape," she insisted.
It remains to be seen if the ankle will work just fine Friday when she is scheduled to face veteran Italian Flavia Pennetta, in the only quarterfinal appearance of Williams in a Grand Slam tournament this year. If she hurdles the talented baseliner, Serena Williams has one more stumbling block waiting, possibly Victoria Azarenka in the semifinals.
Right now, the sisters are dealing from the eerie elimination in the double event. The ankle problem was initially described as viral illness but nobody would confirm the actual details due to evasiveness of the Williamses to the media. The sisters have long upheld their tradition of participating in doubles events much to the chagrin and opposition of their coaches. Their mentors are continuously advising their wards to forego the doubles to preserve their energy and evade injury, yet, Venus and Serena are not letting the opportunity to team up pass.
"I'm really proud of her for trying because we just love playing doubles together," Venus said after their defeat at Wimbledon.
Maybe it was blessing in disguise that they were eliminated in the doubles giving ample time for Serena to rest her weary ankles two days ahead of the singles match Friday. With Venus nearing the twilight of her career, doubles events might just be her last chance to snatch a Grand Slam trophy yet this may just come at the expense of her sister's health. We will see Friday if any damage has been done by this.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’