Williams Sisters Bow Out Of US Open Women’s Doubles Competition, Serena Hurts Ankle Ahead of Quarterfinals Match Friday
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | September 3, 2014 6:02 PM EST
Serena Williams may just pay the price of chasing a U.S. Open Women's Doubles trophy.
Women's tennis' top ranked player injured her left ankle during Tuesday's match against the duo of Eketarina Makarova and Elena Vesnina. Serena and her sister Venus were eliminated from competition in the women's doubles event, 7-6 (5), 6-4 . With a quarterfinals match looming in the women's singles event, Serena Williams is staring at an injury which can cost her two opportunities to bring home another Grand Slam Trophy.
Serena (L) and Venus Williams of the U.S. react after their loss to Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina of Russia in their quarter-final doubles match at the 2014 U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York, September 2, 2014.
Serena Williams was visibly limping for much of the almost two-hour game against Makarova and Vesnina. Before the game commenced, her ankle was heavily wrapped and during the second set, she requested for a 10-minute medical relief. No post-game quotes can be extracted from the women's best player as the sisters forego of attending the media rounds after the game. A WTA official was sent to their locker room and all that they could get from Williams was that it was a minor detail that nobody had to fuzz about.
"Nothing to worry about, just a re-tape," she insisted.
It remains to be seen if the ankle will work just fine Friday when she is scheduled to face veteran Italian Flavia Pennetta, in the only quarterfinal appearance of Williams in a Grand Slam tournament this year. If she hurdles the talented baseliner, Serena Williams has one more stumbling block waiting, possibly Victoria Azarenka in the semifinals.
Right now, the sisters are dealing from the eerie elimination in the double event. The ankle problem was initially described as viral illness but nobody would confirm the actual details due to evasiveness of the Williamses to the media. The sisters have long upheld their tradition of participating in doubles events much to the chagrin and opposition of their coaches. Their mentors are continuously advising their wards to forego the doubles to preserve their energy and evade injury, yet, Venus and Serena are not letting the opportunity to team up pass.
"I'm really proud of her for trying because we just love playing doubles together," Venus said after their defeat at Wimbledon.
Maybe it was blessing in disguise that they were eliminated in the doubles giving ample time for Serena to rest her weary ankles two days ahead of the singles match Friday. With Venus nearing the twilight of her career, doubles events might just be her last chance to snatch a Grand Slam trophy yet this may just come at the expense of her sister's health. We will see Friday if any damage has been done by this.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet