Queen Elizabeth Hates Selfies, Against Mobile Phone Greeters—Report
By Tanya Diente | September 3, 2014 4:08 PM EST
The selfie craze has spread all over the world with people from all walks of life happily posing for the camera. However, one particular royalty, the queen of England, is reportedly not a fan.
UK's Mirror reports Queen Elizabeth II has spoken about her "dismay" over the selfie craze. She reportedly doesn't like being welcomed by people with their mobile phones looking to have a selfie with the monarch while she is out on royal meetings.
Britain's Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip arrive for the opening ceremony for the 2014 Commonwealth Games at Celtic Park in Glasgow, Scotland, July 23, 2014.
The queen reportedly expressed her disappointment in a conversation with the U.S. Ambassador Matthew Barzun during his visit to Buckingham Palace in November. The 43-year-old ambassador reportedly revealed in an interview with Tatler magazine how selfies affect the monarch during her engagements.
"She was essentially saying 'I miss eye contact'," Barzun said.
However, contrary to this claim, Queen Elizabeth already had her share of selfies from the past months.
During summer's Commonwealth Games she reportedly photobombed a selfie taken by Australian hockey player Jayde Taylor. As seen on the snapshot provided by Mirror, Queen Elizabeth is grinning on the background as she stands outside a fence.
Then, recently in June, a teenager managed to catch a selfie with the Queen as she passes by during her visit to Belfast. The 88-year-old monarch was reportedly on a tour to see the Crumlin Road Jail, the set of "Game of Thrones," St. George's markets and to attend a garden party at Hillsborough Castle.
The visit was said to have been a relaxed affair as previously mentioned by Mirror. So much so that security wasn't able to fend off a 14-year-old boy, identified by Daily Mail as Jack Surgenor, from taking the opportunity to grab a quick photo with the queen from his mobile phone (see images from Daily Mail).
An onlooker claimed the Queen was "walking through the market with the Secretary of State" when the incident happened. While people were reportedly "cheering and clapping," Jack suddenly approached her, "said something and got her in a selfie."
"It was funny but I don't think the Queen really understood what was going on because it happened so fast," the eyewitness said.
The eyewitness claimed Queen Elizabeth didn't seem to have been fazed by the selfie incident and carried on with her royal duties. Likewise, a spokesperson for the monarch have yet to comment on U.S. Ambassador Matthew Barzun's claim.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report