Queen Elizabeth Hates Selfies, Against Mobile Phone Greeters—Report
By Tanya Diente | September 3, 2014 4:08 PM EST
The selfie craze has spread all over the world with people from all walks of life happily posing for the camera. However, one particular royalty, the queen of England, is reportedly not a fan.
UK's Mirror reports Queen Elizabeth II has spoken about her "dismay" over the selfie craze. She reportedly doesn't like being welcomed by people with their mobile phones looking to have a selfie with the monarch while she is out on royal meetings.
Britain's Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip arrive for the opening ceremony for the 2014 Commonwealth Games at Celtic Park in Glasgow, Scotland, July 23, 2014.
The queen reportedly expressed her disappointment in a conversation with the U.S. Ambassador Matthew Barzun during his visit to Buckingham Palace in November. The 43-year-old ambassador reportedly revealed in an interview with Tatler magazine how selfies affect the monarch during her engagements.
"She was essentially saying 'I miss eye contact'," Barzun said.
However, contrary to this claim, Queen Elizabeth already had her share of selfies from the past months.
During summer's Commonwealth Games she reportedly photobombed a selfie taken by Australian hockey player Jayde Taylor. As seen on the snapshot provided by Mirror, Queen Elizabeth is grinning on the background as she stands outside a fence.
Then, recently in June, a teenager managed to catch a selfie with the Queen as she passes by during her visit to Belfast. The 88-year-old monarch was reportedly on a tour to see the Crumlin Road Jail, the set of "Game of Thrones," St. George's markets and to attend a garden party at Hillsborough Castle.
The visit was said to have been a relaxed affair as previously mentioned by Mirror. So much so that security wasn't able to fend off a 14-year-old boy, identified by Daily Mail as Jack Surgenor, from taking the opportunity to grab a quick photo with the queen from his mobile phone (see images from Daily Mail).
An onlooker claimed the Queen was "walking through the market with the Secretary of State" when the incident happened. While people were reportedly "cheering and clapping," Jack suddenly approached her, "said something and got her in a selfie."
"It was funny but I don't think the Queen really understood what was going on because it happened so fast," the eyewitness said.
The eyewitness claimed Queen Elizabeth didn't seem to have been fazed by the selfie incident and carried on with her royal duties. Likewise, a spokesperson for the monarch have yet to comment on U.S. Ambassador Matthew Barzun's claim.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'