Grigor Dimitrov Disappointed Of Loss In The 2014 US Open
By Rachelle Corpuz | September 3, 2014 2:48 PM EST
Seventh seed Grigor Dimitrov lost to No. 20 seed Gael Monfils of France in the fourth round of the 2014 US Open. Dimitrov was beaten in three straight sets, 7-5, 7-6, 7-2, in the match that lasted two hours and 24 minutes. He admitted that he was disappointed after failing to advance in the Grand Slam tournament.
Gael Monfils of France (L) shakes hands with Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria after defeating him in their fourth round match at the 2014 U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York, September 2, 2014. REUTERS/Adam Hunger
According to Dimitrov, it was a poor match for him. He said he wasn't able to play good tennis as he had hoped for. Dimitrov added that everything went the wrong way. He also applauded Monfils' performance and admitted that he had unforced errors that cost him to a great extent.
"I had 6-3 tie-break, I had all odds on me, and it was just poor shot selection," Dimitrov said via the Association of Tennis Professionals' (ATP) website. "I didn't execute at the right time," Dimitrov added.
While there is no doubt that the 2014 tennis season is the best year of his professional tennis career, having had broken into the top 10 of the ATP world rankings and winning three titles so far, Dimitrov said he wasn't happy and satisfied because he knew he could do better. "Today was proof of that, I'm not going to hide my disappointment."
Amidst defeat, Dimitrov has stood up, accepted defeat, and admitted that he has been bettered in some way. He said that his main focus now was to move forward and do well in future tournaments that he will be joining.
"I'm going to give it all."
Dimitrov has announced on Twitter that he will be a participant in the 2014 China Open, alongside Maria Sharapova, Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams, Li Na, and Tomas Berdych among others. The tournament will run from Sept. 21 to Oct. 25.
Meanwhile, the Frenchman who ended Dimitrov's US Open campaign was delighted of his victory.
"I love to play here, such a good energy, I just feel good, I'm happy," Monfils said via the US Open's website. Monfils' fourth round win was his third top 10 win in 2014. He has previously defeated Jared Donaldson, Alejandro Gonzalez, and Richard Gasquet in the earlier rounds.
Video courtesy: YouTube/Tennis HD
MORE SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan