Grigor Dimitrov Disappointed Of Loss In The 2014 US Open
By Rachelle Corpuz | September 3, 2014 2:48 PM EST
Seventh seed Grigor Dimitrov lost to No. 20 seed Gael Monfils of France in the fourth round of the 2014 US Open. Dimitrov was beaten in three straight sets, 7-5, 7-6, 7-2, in the match that lasted two hours and 24 minutes. He admitted that he was disappointed after failing to advance in the Grand Slam tournament.
Gael Monfils of France (L) shakes hands with Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria after defeating him in their fourth round match at the 2014 U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York, September 2, 2014. REUTERS/Adam Hunger
According to Dimitrov, it was a poor match for him. He said he wasn't able to play good tennis as he had hoped for. Dimitrov added that everything went the wrong way. He also applauded Monfils' performance and admitted that he had unforced errors that cost him to a great extent.
"I had 6-3 tie-break, I had all odds on me, and it was just poor shot selection," Dimitrov said via the Association of Tennis Professionals' (ATP) website. "I didn't execute at the right time," Dimitrov added.
While there is no doubt that the 2014 tennis season is the best year of his professional tennis career, having had broken into the top 10 of the ATP world rankings and winning three titles so far, Dimitrov said he wasn't happy and satisfied because he knew he could do better. "Today was proof of that, I'm not going to hide my disappointment."
Amidst defeat, Dimitrov has stood up, accepted defeat, and admitted that he has been bettered in some way. He said that his main focus now was to move forward and do well in future tournaments that he will be joining.
"I'm going to give it all."
Dimitrov has announced on Twitter that he will be a participant in the 2014 China Open, alongside Maria Sharapova, Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams, Li Na, and Tomas Berdych among others. The tournament will run from Sept. 21 to Oct. 25.
Meanwhile, the Frenchman who ended Dimitrov's US Open campaign was delighted of his victory.
"I love to play here, such a good energy, I just feel good, I'm happy," Monfils said via the US Open's website. Monfils' fourth round win was his third top 10 win in 2014. He has previously defeated Jared Donaldson, Alejandro Gonzalez, and Richard Gasquet in the earlier rounds.
Video courtesy: YouTube/Tennis HD
MORE SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft