‘Sons of Anarchy’ Charlie Hunnam & ‘The Walking Dead’ Jon Bernthal To Play Snake Plissken In The ‘Escape From New York’ Remake
By Riza Ornos | September 3, 2014 2:34 PM EST
Making a lot of buzz for being the top choice for "King Arthur's" role, "Sons of Anarchy" lead star Charlie Hunnam is picked to play Kurt Russell's famous character. In a remake of John Carpenter's sci-fi "Escape From New York," Hunnam is one of the front-runners to play the famous Snake Plissken.
Cast member Charlie Hunnam speaks at a panel for the television series ''Sons of Anarchy'' during the FX portion of the Television Critics Association Summer press tour in Beverly Hills, California August 2, 2013.
The reboot of the movie has been gestating for years but failed to make it into production, the most recent attempt was from Studio Canal with "The Matrix" producer Joel Silver. But after years of waiting, it seems that they are making progress with Starlog claiming that they have the three actors' name for the lead role.
Number one on the list is the "Crimson Peak" star who is known for his biker drama series on FX and behind him is "The Walking Dead" actor Jon Bernthal. The third actor vying for the iconic role is "The Guest" actor Dan Stevens. Based on the report, none of these three actors have read for the films, but the studio is working on to lock down one of the three actors for the lead role.
With Guy Ritchie's "King Arthur" and Guillermo del Toro's "Pacific Rim 2," the British hunk is a hot commodity now that his biker series is on its final season. But with so many commitments, Hunnam's filming schedules might pose as a conflict and Jon Bernthal is rumoured to have a good chance to play the one-eyed antihero.
Currently in pre-production, there is still no director to helm the upcoming film and according to Starlog's source, the movie is "more team-based, as Snake Plissken traverses through a treacherous New York landscape with a rogues gallery of criminals who look to leave the island-turned-prison in exchange for the rescue of the captured U.S. President."
Silver Pictures is currently working on the scripts and trying to narrow down their shortlist with no confirmation for the directorial post. Still featuring the film's sci-fi element, the "Escape From New York" reboot is going to have "a darker tone" featuring more on the "gun-and-run thriller."
Here's a note about Plissken team for the upcoming remake for the film posted on Starlogs.
"Plissken's team consists of Mina, a warzone journalist framed for murder and living in the shadows of New York as a scavenger; Cabbie, a schizophrenic travel guide who serves as comic relief; Gareth, the last surviving member of the President's security detail who harbors a dangerous secret; and The Brain, Plissken's former partner-in-crime who left him to die after a botched robbery."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Mariah Carey-Nick Cannon Divorce: Mariah Claims Infidelity, Nick's Affair With Amber Rose To Blame -- Report
- Taylor Swift And Harry Styles Spotted Together Enjoying A Concert; Songstress ‘Still Not Over’ 1D Singer—Reports
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 21 Spoilers: Nick Shocks His Family And Summer’s Past Gets Revealed
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports