Mother Suffering From Alzheimer's Recognises Her Daughter In A Viral Video
By Afza Fathima | September 3, 2014 2:25 PM EST
Kelly Gunderson, whose mother is 87 years old and is suffering from Alzheimer's disease was pleasantly surprised when her mother recognised her for a few seconds.
Alzheimer's disease patient Isidora Tomaz, 82, sits in her armchair with two chairs placed in front of her by her husband Amilcar Dos Santos (unseen) to prevent her from falling to the ground in their house in Lisbon September 15, 2009. Several low income Portuguese families with Alzheimer's patients under their care are supported by Portugal's Alzheimer Association, a charity. Alzheimer Europe estimates the number of Alzheimer's patients in the European Union alone to surpass 7.0 million.
Last Aug. 29, Kelly, a resident of Georgia, captured a video of her mother, Daphne Tresher, recognising her while lying in bed and uploaded it on Youtube and has gone viral. From Aug. 29 to Sep. 2, the video has gotten more than 1.6 million views and has garnered another half a million in a day.
The video is a selfie one where Daphne recognises her daughter 40 seconds into the 90 second video. Her mother first recognised that only a loving family member would curl up in bed with her, she calls out Kelly's name and then tells her that she loves her, reported Daily Life.
The short video clip brings out the emotions of a mother and daughter and offers hope to other families who have first-hand experience with those suffering from Alzheimer's.
Kelly, a hair stylist and mother of two, told Today.com that since last week, she was recording videos of her along with her mother, but no such connection was documented before this beautiful moment. She has videos of her mother answering few questions posed by her as well as singing 'Jesus Loves Me'.
The video shows her mother calling out "Kelly" after which Gunderson replies that yes, she is Kelly. Her mother, then, replies that she loves Kelly and asked her if she named her that. Gunderson answers her in the positive, after which both of them share a laugh. And then her mother again tells her that she loves her.
In the later part of the video, Kelly asks her mother what she was thinking about to which Daphne replied that she was loving her. Gunderson then tells her mother that she was loving her too.
Daphne then said that they were both doing the same thing.
Gunderson told Today.com that she never knew what she was going to get when she was talking to her mother and that she was just enjoying it. She was caught off guard when her mother called out her name.
Kelly believed that the video became popular because people were relating to it and that people were viewing it as a moment of clarity.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Spreads Through Red Cross Vaccine - Ghana Nurse ‘Testifies’; The Truth About Red Cross
- Ebola Outbreak To Continue Until Effective Vaccine Surfaces; 120,000 Women To Die of Childbirth
- Ebola Does Not Infect But Scares Southwestern College To Evacuate Students
- Ebola Outbreak Blamed on Infected Bushmeat; First Family to Catch Virus Hunted Bats
- Ebola Is Changing The Religious Landscape In West Africa
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity