Mother Suffering From Alzheimer's Recognises Her Daughter In A Viral Video
By Afza Fathima | September 3, 2014 2:25 PM EST
Kelly Gunderson, whose mother is 87 years old and is suffering from Alzheimer's disease was pleasantly surprised when her mother recognised her for a few seconds.
Alzheimer's disease patient Isidora Tomaz, 82, sits in her armchair with two chairs placed in front of her by her husband Amilcar Dos Santos (unseen) to prevent her from falling to the ground in their house in Lisbon September 15, 2009. Several low income Portuguese families with Alzheimer's patients under their care are supported by Portugal's Alzheimer Association, a charity. Alzheimer Europe estimates the number of Alzheimer's patients in the European Union alone to surpass 7.0 million.
Last Aug. 29, Kelly, a resident of Georgia, captured a video of her mother, Daphne Tresher, recognising her while lying in bed and uploaded it on Youtube and has gone viral. From Aug. 29 to Sep. 2, the video has gotten more than 1.6 million views and has garnered another half a million in a day.
The video is a selfie one where Daphne recognises her daughter 40 seconds into the 90 second video. Her mother first recognised that only a loving family member would curl up in bed with her, she calls out Kelly's name and then tells her that she loves her, reported Daily Life.
The short video clip brings out the emotions of a mother and daughter and offers hope to other families who have first-hand experience with those suffering from Alzheimer's.
Kelly, a hair stylist and mother of two, told Today.com that since last week, she was recording videos of her along with her mother, but no such connection was documented before this beautiful moment. She has videos of her mother answering few questions posed by her as well as singing 'Jesus Loves Me'.
The video shows her mother calling out "Kelly" after which Gunderson replies that yes, she is Kelly. Her mother, then, replies that she loves Kelly and asked her if she named her that. Gunderson answers her in the positive, after which both of them share a laugh. And then her mother again tells her that she loves her.
In the later part of the video, Kelly asks her mother what she was thinking about to which Daphne replied that she was loving her. Gunderson then tells her mother that she was loving her too.
Daphne then said that they were both doing the same thing.
Gunderson told Today.com that she never knew what she was going to get when she was talking to her mother and that she was just enjoying it. She was caught off guard when her mother called out her name.
Kelly believed that the video became popular because people were relating to it and that people were viewing it as a moment of clarity.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MRI Footage Shows What Sex And Other Activities Looks Like From The Inside[Watch Video]
- Joe Manganiello Fitness Secret: Low Carb Paleo Diet and CrossFit Workout
- Ebola Virus Outbreak Origin Traced To Bats – Report
- Demi Lovato Battled Bulimia and Negative Body Image: Turns into Role Model For Many; Her Diet and Fitness Routine
- Beyonce Reveals Snaps Of Naked Baby Bump While She Was Expecting Blue Ivy; How She Lost Her Pregnancy Weight [Watch Video]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6: Performance, Sales, iOS 8 and Android 5.0 L