Steven Sotloff Beheading Video Released By Mistake

  • Rate this Story
  • 0
  • 0

By Athena Yenko | September 3, 2014 1:40 PM EST

The video showing the beheading of another American journalist, Steven Sotloff, was released by mistake, the Islamic State says.

On Tuesday, a video of Sotloff's execution started circulating across social media channels. However, the ISIS immediately apologises to its followers for the unintentional video leak saying that it was published before the prearranged time as agreed within the group.

REUTERS/Islamic State via Reut
A video purportedly showing U.S. journalist Steven Sotloff kneeling next to a masked Islamic State fighter holding a knife in an unknown location in this still image from video released by Islamic State September 2, 2014. The Islamic State released a video purporting to show the beheading of Sotloff, a monitoring service said on Tuesday, as the militant group raised the stakes in its confrontation with Washington over U.S. air strikes on its fighters in Iraq.

Apparently, an ISIS twitter account posted the video. Another account tried to withdraw it from being posted but it had already been picked up by some media outlet. Both of the Twitter accounts are now suspended, Vocativ reports.

"A clarification about the mistake was made by "Uyun al-Ummah" account, that has published the video before the official time. We tried to remove the video after we understood that this was published by mistake, and we are sorry to the followers of the Islamic State," ISIS' apology went.

It is not clear why the group has to apologise for the untimely release of the video.

The executioner appears to be the same man featured in Foley's video as hinted by his British accent and with him telling US President Barack Obama that he is back. Towards the end of the video, the executioner had again warned that there will be more beheading until U.S. changes its foreign policy. This time, the executioner threatens to kill a British man identified as David Cawthorne Haines.

Sotloff, as a freelance journalist, had written for TIME.

TIME editor Nancy Gibs, in a statement, said that the magazine valued Sotloff for giving his readers information from some of the most notorious places in the world. She added that the whole publication was shocked and deeply saddened by the report of Sotloff's death.

According to latest reports, US intelligence officials are now tasked to determine the authenticity of the video.

US State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said that if the video proves to be genuine, then the U.S. government is sickened by this another brutal act of taking the life of an innocent man merely for being an American citizen.

White House Press Secretary, Josh Earnest, expressed the government's condolence and prayers to Sotloff's family and colleagues.

To contact the editor, e-mail:

(Photo: REUTERS/Islamic State via Reut / )
A video purportedly showing U.S. journalist Steven Sotloff kneeling next to a masked Islamic State fighter holding a knife in an unknown location in this still image from video released by Islamic State September 2, 2014. The Islamic State released a video purporting to show the beheading of Sotloff, a monitoring service said on Tuesday, as the militant group raised the stakes in its confrontation with Washington over U.S. air strikes on its fighters in Iraq.
  • Rate this Story
  • 0
  • 0
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.com.au, the business news leader

Join the Conversation

IBTimes TV
E-Newsletters

We value your privacy. Your email address will not be shared.