Jane Caro Clarifies Controversial Comment ‘Housewives Are Prostitutes’ [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | September 3, 2014 1:19 PM EST
Australian author Jane Caro has backtracked on her comment “housewives are prostitutes” after causing a stir on social media.
On ABC TV’s Q&A for “Festival of Dangerous Ideas” episode on Monday night, the social commentator came under fire for comparing housewives to prostitutes. In the wake of ex-journalist Amanda Goff’s recent revelation of her double life as a prostitute, the participating panel was asked about sex workers.
“I’m going to say something really dangerous now,” Caro said, aware that her following words would be controversial. “I would argue that traditional marriage, which included conjugal rights, particularly when women were not able to go to work or were fired when they first got married, and were basically selling their reproductive rights to their husband... was a form of prostitution.
“He bought them by giving her room and board in return.”
Caro’s analogy didn’t sit well with some viewers, who blasted the author for allegedly callously demeaning the roles of housewives to a paid-for sex worker.
— Polymorpheous (@polymorpheous) September 3, 2014
#wifenotwhore I chose marriage I'm not a prostitute. #qanda #janecaro — narelle selwood (@nellyselly) September 2, 2014
— Bradley Tanner (@Braddlesadl) September 2, 2014
Caro appeared to have backtracked on her own words, but insisted that she was talking about marriages in the olden days when marriages were considered an economic transaction.
Writing a column for Fairfax Media, she clarified what she meant by the analogy, admitting that she “obviously expressed myself badly.”
“I was trying to talk about marriage in the bad old days when it was much more of an economic transaction than it is today. Once, when married women were unable to retain their own earnings or property (only changed in Britain in 1882), they had no rights to their own children. When a husband had not only his conjugal rights enshrined in law but also the right to ‘discipline’ his wife as he saw fit, society very much made women the possessions of their husbands.
“Women’s currency was pretty much reduced to – as I said – their sexual and reproductive capacity. That still did not make the women in such relationships prostitutes but it did make marriage much more about survival than choice.”
She also insisted to AAP that she was not calling modern wives prostitutes.
“I have been married for 39 years, I was at home with small children for five years. Why would I say such a thing?”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Jealous, Duchess Only Good At Making Babies--- Report
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone