Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. OnePlus One – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
By Pavithra Rathinavel | September 3, 2014 11:23 AM EST
The Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini was released in July in selected regions, whereas the OnePlus One was released in June. It is worth noting that, the OnePlus One handset's invitation-only model is being axed and the pre-order system will be provided from October. Furthermore, both the phones cost the same. Readers who are interested in the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini or the OnePlus One should check out the specifications, features and price comparison.
Students walk out of Samsung Electronics' headquarters in Seoul July 7, 2014. Samsung Electronics Co Ltd on Tuesday said operating profit likely fell 24.5 percent in April-June, its lowest in two years due to slowing growth in the company's cash cow smartphone business and the strength of the South Korean won.
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Fresh Teaser Released; 1440 x 2560 2K Screen Resolution Confirmed On Release Date
Nokia Lumia 530 (Dual-SIM) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S (Dual-SIM): Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
Display, Exterior And Size
The Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini features a 4.5-inch Super AMOLED display bundled with 720 x 1,280 pixels screen resolution. The OnePlus One, on the other hand, comes with a LG G3-like 5.5-inch LTPS LCD display and 1,080 x 1,920 pixels resolution. In addition, the pixel densities of Samsung and OnePlus handsets stand at 326 ppi and 401 ppi respectively.
When it comes to the exterior, the Galaxy S5 Mini features the same perforated (dotted) plastic back seen in the Galaxy S5 handset. In addition, the handset features a glossy but fake metal band covering the corners of the handsets. In many ways, the phone looks similar to the Galaxy S5. The OnePlus One, meanwhile, comes with a magnesium exterior. In addition, the device's back panel is alterable with a choice of bamboo, kevlar and denim.
The thickness and the weight of the OnePlus One are 0.35-inch and 162 g respectively, whereas the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini is 0.36-inch thick and weighs 120 g.
Hardware, Software And Memory
The OnePlus One is powered by a quad-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon 801) Krait 400 processor, clocked at 2.5 GHz. The Galaxy S5 Mini, on the other hand, is powered by a quad-core (Exynos 3) Cortex-A7 processor clocked at 1.4 GHz. Also, the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini houses only 1.5 GB of RAM, while the OnePlus One trumps the Samsung handset with a killer 3 GB of RAM.
In addition, the compact device from Samsung runs on Android v4.4.2 KitKat OS with Samsung's TouchWiz UI. And the OnePlus device runs on Android v4.4.2 KitKat OS (upgradable to v4.4.4 KitKat) with CyanogenMod 11S UI. Furthermore, the Galaxy S5 Mini offers 16 GB of internal storage, while the OnePlus One comes with 16 GB and 64 GB of in-built memory. While the Galaxy S5 Mini supports microSD card for expansion up to 64 GB, the OnePlus One doesn't.
Camera And Battery
The Galaxy S5 Mini sports an 8 MP rear-facing camera unit with LED flash, whereas the OnePlus One features a solid 13 MP rear-facing camera unit with dual-LED flash. Also, the Samsung device houses a 2.1 MP front-facing shooter, whereas the OnePlus One comes with a surprisingly good 5 MP shooter. Additionally, the OnePlus One houses a much-powerful Li-Ion 3100 mAh battery, whereas the Samsung handset houses a relatively inferior Li-Ion 2100 mAh battery unit.
1. Both the phones support Wi-Fi, LTE, microUSB and NFC. However, the difference comes in the form of Bluetooth version. The OnePlus One goes one step further and supports Bluetooth v4.1, whereas the Galaxy device supports the standard Bluetooth v4.0.
2. The OnePlus One comes in silk white and sandstone black hues, whereas the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini handset comes in black, white, blue and gold colours.
3. The Galaxy S5 Mini houses a fingerprint scanner, whereas the OnePlus One doesn't.
4. In addition, the Samsung device comes with a heart rate monitor, while the OnePlus handset doesn't.
5. Also, the Galaxy S5 Mini features water and dust resistant exterior (IP67 certified), whereas the OnePlus One doesn't.
6. Both the phones support micro-SIM. While one of the variants named Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini (Duos) support dual-SIM mode, the OnePlus One device doesn't.
7. Interested readers can check out Bamboo StyleSwap Cover specific to OnePlus One handset that comes for US$49.
8. While the Samsung device supports Infrared port, the OnePlue One doesn't.
2. Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October - [Read]
3. Fresh Teaser Of Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Released; 1440 x 2560 Pixels 2K Resolution Confirmed - [Read]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight