iPhone 6 To Boost Telstra’s Income By $500 Million
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 3, 2014 8:37 AM EST
Like other telcos, Telstra is looking forward to the official launch of Apple's iPhone 6 on Sept 9 and its shipment to Australia. The latest flagship of the Cupertino-based tech giant is expected to boost Telstra's income by $500 million, Morgan Stanley Research analysts estimate.
An Apple employee waves a rainbow flag before marching in the San Francisco Gay Pride Festival in California June 29, 2014. Thousands of Apple employees donned specially designed T shirts at the festival and marched in unison. This year's turnout was largest in the company's history, several Apple employees told Reuters.
Morgan Stanley reckons that by selling the larger screened iPhone 6, Telstra's would add about 465,000 mobile subscribers for the 2015 financial year, estimated analysts, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
While many phone users think that Telstra's service is high-end, the telco logged the highest satisfaction rating among the survey respondents compare to its two competitors. The report said that 45 per cent of Aussie iPhone users are Telstra subscribers, 27 per cent are with Optus and 26 per cent with Vodafone.
Morgan Stanley forecasts that Telstra would capture 5 per cent of the iPhone market when the iPhone 6 reaches the Australian market, while Optus's share would remain unchanged, but Vodafone would lose 6 per cent share.
"In three of the last four years, Telstra has added significantly more subscribers in the first-half versus the second-half and we believe much of this change is due to the launch of the latest iPhones," the report said, quoted by AFR.
With 465,000 more iPhone subscribers, there would be higher demand for data for Telstra. That would place pressure on Telstra to constantly upgrade its equipment to meet the higher demand.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border