Islamic State: Mother of 2nd Beheading Victim Steven Sotloff Appealed To IS Last Week, Jihadist John Is Still The Knife Wielder
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 3, 2014 8:22 AM EST
The family of Steven Sotloff, the second apparent beheading victim of the Islamic State, issued on Tuesday a statement saying they believe that the video just released showing his decapitation is authentic.
Barak Barfi, the spokesman of the family, said in a statement, "The family knows of this horrific tragedy and is grieving privately. There will be no public comment from the family during this difficult time," quoted The Sydney Morning Herald.
According to the daily, Shirley Sotloff, the mother of the Time and Foreign Policy magazines contributor, appealed last week to IS to spare the life of her son.
"I am sending this message to you, Abu Bakar al-Baghdadi al-Quraisi al-Hussaini, the caliph of the Islamic State. I am Shirley Sotloff. My son Stephen is in your hands ... You, the caliph, can grant amnesty. I ask you to please release my child. I ask you to use your authority to spare his life," Shirley begged.
Similar to the James Foley beheading, Sotloff - who wore an orange jumpsuit - said he was paying the price for the air strikes on IS targets in Iraq by the Obama-led US government.
Jihadist John, the beheader of Foley who has a British accent, appears to be the same person who wielded the knife that decapitated Foley in the Aug 19 video which showed similar desert. British intelligence agencies have identified John as Abdel-Majed Abdel Bary, a former British rapper.
John said in the new video, "I'm back Obama, and I'm back because of your arrogant foreign policy towards the Islamic State ... So just as your missies continue to strike our people, our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people."
While there is a theory among some intelligence officials that the two beheadings were done on the same day, it appears otherwise because John has a small beard and some hair on his head in the Sotloff beheading video, while he was clean shaven and almost bald in the Foley beheading video.
The US National Security Council spokesperson, Bernadette Meehan, said the American intelligence community is working to determine if the Sotloff beheading video is authentic. "If genuine, we are appalled by the brutal murder of an innocent American journalist and we express our deepest condolences to his family and friends," she said.
The 31-year-old Sotloff disappeared in Syria in August 2013. He resurfaced in the Foley beheading video two weeks ago.
Here is the video of Sotloff's mother which has gone viral with more than 80,000 hits.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Indonesia Uses Russian-Built Fighter Jets In Chasing For Australian Plane
- Move Over, Jeremy Meeks; Brazil Has A Handsome Crook With 39 Murders On Record
- Islamic State: Aussie Terrorism Suspect Was In Same Video When Runaway Teenager Threatened PM Abbott
- Islamic State: From Beheading Men, IS Moves To Stoning Adulteress To Death
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]