Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photo Scandal: Know All About 4chan Founder Christopher Poole
By nidhi tewari | September 2, 2014 2:04 PM EST
The leaked nude photos of Jennifer Lawrence and other celebrities generated a mass social hysteria on Sunday evening and Monday. Currently, heated online debates are taking place about how the pictures were leaked via Apple's iCloud hacking and how J Law and other celebrities could have avoided that. But, the website 4chan has benefited from this huke leak of nude, semi-nude and revealing photos. It has attracted huge traffic because of the leaked nude photo scandal, as the photos were first posted on the site. Here are some details about the site's founder Christopher Poole and his purpose behind creating this now notorious website:
Actress Jennifer Lawrence attends the "X-Men: Days of Future Past" world movie premiere in New York May 10, 2014.
1. Christopher Poole was born in New York City and launched 4chan while still living at his mother's home. He was 15-years-old at the time.
2. Poole is a Virginia Commonwealth University drop out and had enrolled to study anthropology there.
3. When he launched 4chan in 2003, it was then based on Japanese image boards and its original purpose was to use it for anime discussions. However, the site has expanded its horizon in the past few years and is now broadly used by anonymous users to post controversial pictures and videos, which they would not be able to share otherwise.
4. Poole's site 4chan has previously been used for various top level hacks, including the 2008 Sarah Palin's email leak and was also involved in Wikileaks scandal, Mirror is reporting.
5. Poole uses the alias "moot" on various social networking sites, including Twitter. He also writes a blog at Chrishateswriting.com. However, he is not very regular on Twitter, with his last tweet dating back to July.
6. Poole was an overweight child and was "arrested for dropping water balloons onto passing cars from the roof of an apartment building."
7. As a child, he would spent 6-7 hours playing video games in his blacked out bedroom and never went out to socialise and interact with people.
8. After creating 4chan, he was voted the world's most influential person on a poll by Time magazine's readers. He also managed to raise $625,000 to fund a new online business called Canvas, which too is primarly used for sharing pictures.
9. His Web site 4chan reportedly has 22 million unique visitors per month and gets 500 million page views per month. Several publications have done a profile feature on him, including TIME, The New York Times, The Washington Post, Technology Review, Vanity Fair, and others.
10. Chris also advises a seed-stage venture capital firm called Lerer Ventures in New York City.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid