WHO Anxious of 1st Senegal Ebola Case, Says It is ‘A Top Priority Emergency’
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | September 1, 2014 3:48 PM EST
The WHO has called on the government of Senegal to consider "a top priority emergency" efforts to curb a potential outbreak in the country following reports of a 21-year-old student from Guinea who crossed into the country to go to a Senegalese hospital.
Ebola vaccine market also seems very small as the disease is rarely occurs and it supposed to be affected only in poor countries. Funding for the Ebola disease also very difficult to raise, the exiting supporters are US and Canada governmental agencies.
The Senegalese government is currently tracing everyone who could possibly have come in contact with the Guinean student. The 21-year-old student had tested positive for the deadly disease.
WHO is particularly concerned because Senegal is a major hub for transportation, business and aid work in the western African region.
Health Minister Awa Marie Coll Seck said the student went to a hospital in Dakar on Aug. 26 but did not admit he had been in contact with other Ebola victims.
Laboratory results on Friday that same week showed the student has contracted the fatal Ebola.
Before that, the male student had reportedly gone to a medical facility seeking treatment for fever, diarrhea and vomiting on Aug. 23.
Despite that, his complaints were all symptoms of Ebola, he was only treated for malaria. As such, he continued to stay with his relatives before deciding to have himself checked again at a different hospital on Aug. 26.
Dr Gallaye Ka, a doctor monitoring his case in Dakar, said in an interview with the private radio station RFM that the Guinean student "is doing very well."
"This morning when I called the hospital, the doctor told me that the patient had no complaints and that his fever had disappeared."
Senegal has become the fifth country in the western African region afflicted with what is considered the worst Ebola outbreak on record.
Latest figures released by the WHO revealed more than 3,000 suspected and confirmed Ebola cases have been reported in West Africa. Over 1,500 people have died of the virus.
The entry of Ebola in Senegal is worry global health experts because it could further complicate efforts to control the maddening outbreak.
Senegal had closed its land border with Guinea as well as banned air and sea travel from Sierra Leone and Liberia.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Russia Warns Citizens – Take Selfies, Have Lice
- The Cost Of Getting Infected With Ebola
- Ebola Divides The US: More States Begin Applying Stricter Guidelines Than What CDC Imposed
- Canadian House Owners Preferring To Live In Core City Than In Suburbs: Study
- FIFA May Keep Russia and Ukraine Apart in World Cup 2018
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family