Kristen Stewart Almost Did Not Get Cast For 'Cloud of Sils Maria'
By Annie Dee | August 31, 2014 4:01 AM EST
Kristen Stewart received praise for her role in "Cloud of Sils Maria" when it was shown earlier this year at the Cannes Film Festival. The reviews said that the role was made for her. Kristen Stewart, who is known for her role in "Twiight" film series as Isabella, has shared that she was not at all confident that she would land the role.
Actress Kristen Stewart arrives at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala Benefit celebrating the opening of "Charles James: Beyond Fashion" in Upper Manhattan, New York May 5, 2014. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri
In an interview with Vanity Fair France, Kristen Stewart has shared what it was like to be cast as Valentine, a personal assistant to an uptight boss going through a career dilemma, and how at first, she thought she would not bag the role. She believes that the stars aligned for her so she ended-up playing the role that she most wanted to play.
"The stars aligned in that fateful way that they do. Because movies can sometimes be insurmountable mountains you never know if you are going to get across. I thought I wasn't going to get this part because there was a mix-up in communication," the the actress said.
Kristen Stewart said that she was "terrified" that she was not going to get the part, as "Olivier had already re-cast it. But there wasn't any world in which I wouldn't play that part."
"I asked Olivier, "Please get on Skype with me." He thought I was talking about the part of the [scandalous] young actress, played by Chloe [Moretz]. I was like, "No, that's impossible, I could never play that part." The only part I could play is Valentine, the assistant. Luckily something shifted and it all worked out," she told Vanity Fair France.
.In the interview, Kristen Stewart also spilled details about the French-American mix-up, with her agent and the producer. The actress had not read the script and her producer, Charles Gillibert, thought that she was not interested in doing the role.
"He figured that, had I liked it, I would've jumped at it, which is a natural thing that actors do. When I saw him later he was, like, "I think it's surprising you didn't respond to Sils." I was like, "I have no idea what you're talking about." Luckily it all fell into place," the "Twlight" star said.
Good thing she did, because in the film, Kristen Stewart has certainly shown her acting chops. Variety called her the "most compellingly watchable American actress of her generation" because of her performance.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS