Demi Lovato Credits Kim Kardashian For Making Women Comfortable In Their Own Skins
By Annie Dee | August 31, 2014 3:33 AM EST
Recalling what she looked like at her first MTV Video Music Awards (VMAS), Demi Lovato has wished that she would have liked to be healthier and more confident in the past. She believes that it is important for girls to be healthy, not skinny. And, she is giving credit to Kim Kardasian and Beyonce for changing beauty standards, helping girls to be more realistic about their weight and body issues.
Singer Demi Lovato serves as grand marshal during the 44th annual Los Angeles Pride parade in West Hollywood, California June 8, 2014.
In an interview with Access Hollywood, Demi shares that Kim Kardashian and Beyonce make it okay that it is not important to be skinny and bony to be considered a pretty person. She says that when she was growing-up, she did not have these models. Demi belives that would have been a different person if she knew better.
"When I was growing up and when I was a pre-teen, the people that I had to look up to [for] body image [were] extremely underweight," Lovato said in the interview. "[They] were all very bony at that time and that was the in thing."
"I really credit women like Beyonce and Kim Kardashian. [They] completely revolutionized our generation's view...of what beautiful is," she added. "You can think whatever you want about the Kardashians, but they really did help tons of women feel comfortable in their own skin, and I like to carry that message on," she added.
Demi Lovato can now put herself in the same rank as the Kardashians. She does her fair share of helping girls of all sizes and culture realise their own beauty. Ever since seeking help for her eating disorders in 2010, Demi has made it her personal mission to help young girls avoid eating disorders and not give in to the pressures to be thin.
Back in 2011, she told Ellen Degeneres that she realised too late that starving oneself to be skinny is not the right thing to do. She used to skip meals to achieve her desired weight. She said that there was no one to tell her how to be healthy and she feels like she can be a role model to other girls currently in the same situation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast
- Nude Photo Leak: Kim Kardashian, Vanessa Hudgens, Hope Solo Latest Victims Of Hacking Attack, Twitter Explodes With Reactions 'Not' In Support Of Kardashian -- Reports
- Ryan Gosling And Eva Mendes Gushes Over Newborn Daughter