Demi Lovato Credits Kim Kardashian For Making Women Comfortable In Their Own Skins
By Annie Dee | August 31, 2014 3:33 AM EST
Recalling what she looked like at her first MTV Video Music Awards (VMAS), Demi Lovato has wished that she would have liked to be healthier and more confident in the past. She believes that it is important for girls to be healthy, not skinny. And, she is giving credit to Kim Kardasian and Beyonce for changing beauty standards, helping girls to be more realistic about their weight and body issues.
Singer Demi Lovato serves as grand marshal during the 44th annual Los Angeles Pride parade in West Hollywood, California June 8, 2014.
In an interview with Access Hollywood, Demi shares that Kim Kardashian and Beyonce make it okay that it is not important to be skinny and bony to be considered a pretty person. She says that when she was growing-up, she did not have these models. Demi belives that would have been a different person if she knew better.
"When I was growing up and when I was a pre-teen, the people that I had to look up to [for] body image [were] extremely underweight," Lovato said in the interview. "[They] were all very bony at that time and that was the in thing."
"I really credit women like Beyonce and Kim Kardashian. [They] completely revolutionized our generation's view...of what beautiful is," she added. "You can think whatever you want about the Kardashians, but they really did help tons of women feel comfortable in their own skin, and I like to carry that message on," she added.
Demi Lovato can now put herself in the same rank as the Kardashians. She does her fair share of helping girls of all sizes and culture realise their own beauty. Ever since seeking help for her eating disorders in 2010, Demi has made it her personal mission to help young girls avoid eating disorders and not give in to the pressures to be thin.
Back in 2011, she told Ellen Degeneres that she realised too late that starving oneself to be skinny is not the right thing to do. She used to skip meals to achieve her desired weight. She said that there was no one to tell her how to be healthy and she feels like she can be a role model to other girls currently in the same situation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery