Joan Rivers Continues To Battle For Life, Her Only Child Melissa Rivers An 'Emotional Wreck'
By Anshu Shrivastava | August 31, 2014 1:19 AM EST
Joan Rivers, 81, condition continue to remain serious. She reportedly stopped breathing during a throat surgery at a clinic on Thursday and was rushed to Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan. According to reports, the American T.V. presenter and stand-up comic is currently in medically induced coma.
Joan reportedly was undergoing a vocal cord surgery when she stopped breathing. Melissa Rivers, 46, Joan's only child, flew in from Los Angeles, with her son, to be at her mother's bedside. In a statement, Melissa said, "My mother would be so touched by the tributes and prayers that we have received from around the world. Her condition remains serious but she is receiving the best treatment and care possible. We ask that you continue to keep her in your thoughts as we pray for her recovery."
A day before the throat surgery, Joan performed an hour of stand-up in Manhattan, according to New York Daily News. She appeared healthy at the event.
An AFP report has quoted Shira Blum, an online project manager, as saying: "Rivers spoke at an employee event at Time Inc in New York on Wednesday night and appeared healthy, practically jogging when she walked in to take her seat. She was very energetic, hilarious, funny. And it was such a shock, a surprise to hear the news this morning."
New York Daily News is reporting that Melissa is "distraught" and is an "emotional wreck." Citing a close friend, the report says that the actress may have to take a life or death decision on her mother.
Joan "would never want to be a burden on anyone," the close friend said to the New York Daily News. "If she can't recover and live a full and active life, she would rather be gone. The thought of her sitting at home unable to look after herself or suffering brain damage is heartbreaking."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5: Human Flesh Burgers Unveiled To Celebrate TWD’s New Season
- George Clooney Divorced Talia Balsam Years Before Getting Married to Amal Alamuddin: Know About Clooney's Ex Wife
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money