Arsenal FC: Mesut Ozil Blasts Critics, Grateful To Supporters
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 30, 2014 10:40 PM EST
Arsenal playmaker Mesut Ozil is grateful for the support that he has received from the fans, after he found himself being feasted on by people from the press during Germany's run to the World Cup.
Arsenal's Mesut Ozil runs for the ball during their Champions League playoff soccer match against Besiktas at the Emirates stadium in London August 27, 2014.
He was particularly surprised with an edition of Kicker magazine, which was released in March, that had him as a subject, with the front-page reading:
"The Ozil Debate: Is he one for the big games?"
"'The Ozil debate'? It was strange. There I was, so close to the start of a massive tournament, and all their eyes are on me, criticising me," the 25-year-old told The Telegraph.
"It was not just Kicker, but also TV and other publications."
"It surprised me. In my first season at Arsenal there were times when I was not at my best but in the qualifiers for the national team I did perform well."
"Look, I scored the most goals in qualifying [eight]."
Nevertheless, the former Werder Bremen man found allies in supporters who were with him all the way.
"I was voted three times Germany's national player of the year and that is decided by the fans," he added.
"That shows the fans are there for me and believe in me. I want to say how thankful I am that they've supported me in such a fantastic way."
The Gelsenkirchen native revealed that his character was also key in overcoming and coping with the said obstacles.
"The negative headlines were unfair," he disclosed.
"But I'm not the sort of person who lets myself be pressured by the media. "
"I am strong enough and confident enough in myself."
Ozil went on to start all of the seven games in Brazil, while playing the entire 120 minutes against Argentina en route to becoming a world champion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- NBA Preview: Milwaukee Bucks Look to Develop Youngsters Jabari Parker, Giannis Antetokounmpo
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine