Arsenal FC: Mesut Ozil Blasts Critics, Grateful To Supporters
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 30, 2014 10:40 PM EST
Arsenal playmaker Mesut Ozil is grateful for the support that he has received from the fans, after he found himself being feasted on by people from the press during Germany's run to the World Cup.
Arsenal's Mesut Ozil runs for the ball during their Champions League playoff soccer match against Besiktas at the Emirates stadium in London August 27, 2014.
He was particularly surprised with an edition of Kicker magazine, which was released in March, that had him as a subject, with the front-page reading:
"The Ozil Debate: Is he one for the big games?"
"'The Ozil debate'? It was strange. There I was, so close to the start of a massive tournament, and all their eyes are on me, criticising me," the 25-year-old told The Telegraph.
"It was not just Kicker, but also TV and other publications."
"It surprised me. In my first season at Arsenal there were times when I was not at my best but in the qualifiers for the national team I did perform well."
"Look, I scored the most goals in qualifying [eight]."
Nevertheless, the former Werder Bremen man found allies in supporters who were with him all the way.
"I was voted three times Germany's national player of the year and that is decided by the fans," he added.
"That shows the fans are there for me and believe in me. I want to say how thankful I am that they've supported me in such a fantastic way."
The Gelsenkirchen native revealed that his character was also key in overcoming and coping with the said obstacles.
"The negative headlines were unfair," he disclosed.
"But I'm not the sort of person who lets myself be pressured by the media. "
"I am strong enough and confident enough in myself."
Ozil went on to start all of the seven games in Brazil, while playing the entire 120 minutes against Argentina en route to becoming a world champion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change