Arsenal FC: Mesut Ozil Blasts Critics, Grateful To Supporters
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 30, 2014 10:40 PM EST
Arsenal playmaker Mesut Ozil is grateful for the support that he has received from the fans, after he found himself being feasted on by people from the press during Germany's run to the World Cup.
Arsenal's Mesut Ozil runs for the ball during their Champions League playoff soccer match against Besiktas at the Emirates stadium in London August 27, 2014.
He was particularly surprised with an edition of Kicker magazine, which was released in March, that had him as a subject, with the front-page reading:
"The Ozil Debate: Is he one for the big games?"
"'The Ozil debate'? It was strange. There I was, so close to the start of a massive tournament, and all their eyes are on me, criticising me," the 25-year-old told The Telegraph.
"It was not just Kicker, but also TV and other publications."
"It surprised me. In my first season at Arsenal there were times when I was not at my best but in the qualifiers for the national team I did perform well."
"Look, I scored the most goals in qualifying [eight]."
Nevertheless, the former Werder Bremen man found allies in supporters who were with him all the way.
"I was voted three times Germany's national player of the year and that is decided by the fans," he added.
"That shows the fans are there for me and believe in me. I want to say how thankful I am that they've supported me in such a fantastic way."
The Gelsenkirchen native revealed that his character was also key in overcoming and coping with the said obstacles.
"The negative headlines were unfair," he disclosed.
"But I'm not the sort of person who lets myself be pressured by the media. "
"I am strong enough and confident enough in myself."
Ozil went on to start all of the seven games in Brazil, while playing the entire 120 minutes against Argentina en route to becoming a world champion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet