2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 30, 2014 7:52 PM EST
Host country Spain will begin their campaign in the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup against FIBA Asia champions Iran in the final game of day 1 in Group A.
The Spaniards will again be counting on top to bottom formidable lineup that already boasts the three-headed front court of Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol and Serge Ibaka. Then on the point guard slot, you have Jose Calderon and Ricky Rubio alternating on distributing the ball. The wingman position is not shy either with Juan Carlos Navarro, Rudy Fernandez and Victor Clavier all raring to provide the scoring at all fronts.
The Iran team while unblemished in the FIBA Asia run will have a hard time containing a team projected to finish all the way to the final game. Yet, the presence of NBA veteran Hamed Haddadi and other improving cagers such as Asghar Kardoust, Mohammad Jamshidi, Rouzbeh Arghavan, Aren Davoudi and Oshin Sahakian will try to keep the gap as close as possible.
While the Iranians used their bulk and height during against their Asian neighbors they will be hard pressed to employ the same tactics against a formidable Spanish squad. Coach Mehmed Becirovic will have his hands full trying to contain a high-post game between the Gasol brothers and if he can keep the game close would be a great feat in itself.
Expect Spain to use the group stages to hone their strategy and scout other teams as they are also bracketed with other favorites such as France, Serbia and Brazil. Projected to reach the finals and even upset the weakened USA lineup, a win by Iran would be a momentous upset.
Projected Starting Lineups:
Ricky Rubio (Guard)
Juan Carlos Navarro (Guard)
Rudy Fernandez (Forward)
Pau Gasol (Forward)
Marc Gasol (Center)
Mahdi Kamrani (Guard)
Hamed Afagh (Guard)
Samad Nikkhah Bahrami (Forward)
Oshin Sahakian (Forward)
Hamed Haddadi (Center)
Watch the highlights of the Spain's loss to Greece during last year's Eurobasket
(Video Courtesy of: Youtube/FIBA EuropeTV)
Watch the highlights of the Iran's championship win over the Philippines in FIBA Asia
(Video Courtesy of: Youtube/jashphersupervideo)
You can watch the Iran vs. Spain live streaming via ESPN.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change