Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 30, 2014 4:22 PM EST
Arsnenal manager Arsene Wenger is not closing his doors in signing a striker before the transfer window closes on the midnight of September 1.
Rumours started to circulate after first-choice hitman Olivier Giroud went down with an ankle injury that will keep him on the sidelines for about four months.
Arsenal's manager Arsene Wenger reacts during their English Premier League soccer match against Crystal Palace at the Emirates stadium in London August 16, 2014.
"I will be actively involved on the final day of the window and I will be on alert until the last minute of transfer deadline day,"said the 64-year-old tactician.
"Many clubs are on the market and everybody knows each other. The last few days are a poker game."
However, he disclosed that money will only be spent for a deserving target, reiterating numerous attacking options at his disposal.
"If I give you the number of strikers I have at the moment, it's absolutely unbelievable," he added.
"We have (Yaya) Sanogo, (Alexis) Sanchez, we have (Theo) Walcott, we have (Lukas) Podolski, we have Giroud who will come back during the season and I forget maybe one or two. (Joel) Campbell can play centre forward as well."
"I think you do it when you think it strengthens your squad. If you find the right player you want to do it."
"We have shown in the last two seasons, when we think money has to be spent we do it."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage