North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 30, 2014 2:53 PM EST
A North Korean official of the Korea Daesong Bank, identified by JoohnAng Ilbo newspaper as Yun Tae Hyong, left the country with $5 million and is in Russia, seeking asylum in a third nation.
Reports suggest that all men in North Korean are required to get the same hairstyle as their supreme leader Kim Jong-un (Photo Reuters)
Yun is said to be the banker of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
North Korea has sought the help of its ally, Russia, for the arrest of the absconding banker. However, beyond the money that Yun allegedly took, he probably would not have extensive information about the North Korean government and how it functions, explained Koh Yu-hwan from the Dongguk University and a North Korea leadership expert. He said Yun's knowledge is likely limited to his work and commitments.
The bank focuses on foreign exchange transactions since it was established in 1978 to handle payments by North Korean companies for their foreign trade transactions. In 2010, the Daesong Bank was blacklisted by US Treasury over suspicions that it operates under the control of North Korean Office 39. It is suspected of purchasing luxury goods, covered by UN sanctions on North Korea.
In December 2013, Jang Song -thaek, the uncle of Kim, was removed from Office 39.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report