North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 30, 2014 2:53 PM EST
A North Korean official of the Korea Daesong Bank, identified by JoohnAng Ilbo newspaper as Yun Tae Hyong, left the country with $5 million and is in Russia, seeking asylum in a third nation.
Reports suggest that all men in North Korean are required to get the same hairstyle as their supreme leader Kim Jong-un (Photo Reuters)
Yun is said to be the banker of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
North Korea has sought the help of its ally, Russia, for the arrest of the absconding banker. However, beyond the money that Yun allegedly took, he probably would not have extensive information about the North Korean government and how it functions, explained Koh Yu-hwan from the Dongguk University and a North Korea leadership expert. He said Yun's knowledge is likely limited to his work and commitments.
The bank focuses on foreign exchange transactions since it was established in 1978 to handle payments by North Korean companies for their foreign trade transactions. In 2010, the Daesong Bank was blacklisted by US Treasury over suspicions that it operates under the control of North Korean Office 39. It is suspected of purchasing luxury goods, covered by UN sanctions on North Korea.
In December 2013, Jang Song -thaek, the uncle of Kim, was removed from Office 39.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related