North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 30, 2014 2:53 PM EST
A North Korean official of the Korea Daesong Bank, identified by JoohnAng Ilbo newspaper as Yun Tae Hyong, left the country with $5 million and is in Russia, seeking asylum in a third nation.
Reports suggest that all men in North Korean are required to get the same hairstyle as their supreme leader Kim Jong-un (Photo Reuters)
Yun is said to be the banker of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
North Korea has sought the help of its ally, Russia, for the arrest of the absconding banker. However, beyond the money that Yun allegedly took, he probably would not have extensive information about the North Korean government and how it functions, explained Koh Yu-hwan from the Dongguk University and a North Korea leadership expert. He said Yun's knowledge is likely limited to his work and commitments.
The bank focuses on foreign exchange transactions since it was established in 1978 to handle payments by North Korean companies for their foreign trade transactions. In 2010, the Daesong Bank was blacklisted by US Treasury over suspicions that it operates under the control of North Korean Office 39. It is suspected of purchasing luxury goods, covered by UN sanctions on North Korea.
In December 2013, Jang Song -thaek, the uncle of Kim, was removed from Office 39.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best