‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates And A ‘Doctor Who’ DLC Coming
By Gel Galang | August 30, 2014 10:21 AM EST
Fans of the long-running series "Doctor Who" who also love playing "Minecraft" will have a grand time now that the two franchises are rolled into one.
Coders rest in the office of Mojang, a small Swedish company behind the wildly popular Minecraft video game, in Stockholm, in this January 21, 2013 file photo. A decade ago Sweden was one of the world's most taxed nations, but the government has since cut income taxes and abolished inheritance taxes. The government says the cuts as well as strong government finances have helped triple-A rated Sweden outpace much of European growth since the 2008 crisis. Swedes with jobs have seen their disposable income soar and startups like Mojang - creator of computer game Minecraft - have blossomed. But not everyone is benefiting equally. The share of people in Sweden who have less income than half the national median rose to 9 percent of the population in 2010, from 5 percent in 2004, according to the OECD. Promising no more cuts to welfare, Stefan Lofven is expected to win the September 2014 election with a centre-left coalition, ending eight years under a centre-right government.
Over at the official website of "Doctor Who," it was announced that the doctor will become a "blocktor" in Minecraft's latest skin pack for the Xbox 360 this coming September.
"We're constantly looking for new and innovative ways to bring Doctor Who content to our loyal fans. Working collaboratively with Microsoft, we've created an exciting new product which will allow Doctor Who fans to create their own brand new adventures in the heart of the iconic world of Minecraft,"said Rikesh Desai of BBC Worldwide U.K.
Since this is already a partnership, fans can expect that this won't be just a one-time skin pack deal for the "Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition." The fact that the announced skin update will bring not only one pack, as the expected rollout of "Doctor Who" skin packs will introduce most of the characters from the years that "Doctor Who" has been running.
In the first pack, the official "Doctor Who" website has announced that it will be released for $2.99/$2.95AUS, and will bring in the Twelfth Doctor alongside five other Doctors and other companions. Developer 4J Studios has featured a screenshot through their official Twitter, and a video, which can be seen below.
Besides the awaited "Doctor Who" skin pack, fans are also waiting for news on the "Minecraft PS4 Edition," "Minecraft Xbox One Edition" and "Minecraft PS Vita" Edition." So far, 4J Studios has not yet given an update on the development stages.
However, Mojang's Daniel Kaplan had an exclusive interview with Total Xbox and revealed some key details regarding the "Minecraft Xbox One Edition," as well as some mechanics on the transitions and transfers from Xbox 360 to Xbox One.
For players who have already played "Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition" and want to do world transfers between the last-gen and current-gen, you need to pay for the $5 upgrade for the disc version of the title.
This will allow you to transfer your world so long as you've played "Minecraft" online. All you need to do is connect your Xbox 360 to the Internet and you don't even need an Xbox Live Gold account as the upgrade is different compared to other games.
As far as the updates are concerned, it seems that Mojang has already decided that the "Minecraft" PC version will be the main standard, wherein all the other editions will follow suit in terms of the updates. But with regard to the possibility of taking "Minecraft" to other platforms, Mojang is still open to it.
"With the release of PS4 and Xbox One I think we have fulfilled most of the needs for now. There aren't many platforms left to release on. We'll see, whatever makes sense and if the platform has the user base for it," Kaplan said to Total Xbox. "We won't release on the platform [if] the base is very small because it's much too big of an effort."
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Updates; PokeNav And Pokemon Halloween Detailed
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage