Without LeBron James, Kevin Durant And Other Stars, Team USA Looks to James Harden As Leader In 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain
By James Patrick Quizon | August 30, 2014 1:18 AM EST
James Harden is one of the unquestioned leaders for his ball club in the National Basketball Association (NBA), the Houston Rockets. With the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup days away, the 6-foot-5 shooting guard is expected to bring that leadership role to the United States of America basketball national team.
David Banks-USA TODAY Sports
United States guard James Harden (13) is defended by Brazil center Tiago Splitter (15) during the second half at the United Center. The United States defeated Brazil 95-78.
Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball chairman admitted as much in a recent interview.
“Right now, I think I would look to Harden as that leader,” Colangelo declared via The Washington Post. “Harden is kind of a natural leader and he seems to be willing to accept that role. And you can just kind of feel it and sense. He’s the one.”
It’s a quick turnaround for Harden to become a leader for Team USA. Just two years ago, at the 2012 London Olympics Harden averaged just 5.5 points per game in 9.1 minutes off the bench for the powerhouse squad.
That team includes the likes of LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Love, Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony—all begged off from their NT commitments in the world championship this year.
Without the Team USA’s superstars, Harden is expected to produce numbers similar to his stats with the Houston Rockets: 25.4 points, 4.7 rebounds and 6.1 assists in the 2013-2014 NBA season.
One of the criticisms on Harden as a member of the Rockets is his sometimes inconsistent and often lazy effort on defense. With Team USA, he assures that he’s working on that aspect of his game.
“First of all, you got the top players in the world on your team, so if you’re not focused and locked in on defense, they are going to embarrass you,” Harden said in the same article.
Harden’s role has grown larger in his second major stint with Team USA in international basketball. Along with it is trying to lead a relatively young crew to the gold medal at the 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage