Manchester United: Di Maria Chose The No. 7 Because of Cristiano Ronaldo
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 29, 2014 8:45 PM EST
Manchester United's new signing Angel Di Maria (L) poses for a photograph with his shirt and with manager Louis van Gaal at Old Trafford in Manchester, northern England August 28, 2014. Manchester United have signed Di Maria from Real Madrid for a British record transfer fee of almost 60 million pounds ($99.40 million).
UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
The Portuguese also wore the same number during his stint at Old Trafford, wherein he helped the English giants win three Premier League crowns and a Champions League title, among others.
"I am aware of importance of the No.7 shirt. Cristiano Ronaldo had spoken to me at Real Madrid and told me how important it was," said the 26-year-old.
"I wanted to wear it and to be able to do as much for the club as Ronaldo and all the others (who have worn it)."
The Red Devils hierarchy had to offer a huge sum for Argentine international, but the latter is determined to justify price-tag.
"It does not bother me that £60m has been paid for me," he added.
"I come here to work and play for the club and to do the best I can for Manchester United."
His arrival at United seemed to have bring back hope to supporters who were demoralised following a poor start in England's top-tier and a shocking Capital One Cup exit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch