Manchester United: Di Maria Chose The No. 7 Because of Cristiano Ronaldo
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 29, 2014 8:45 PM EST
Manchester United's new signing Angel Di Maria (L) poses for a photograph with his shirt and with manager Louis van Gaal at Old Trafford in Manchester, northern England August 28, 2014. Manchester United have signed Di Maria from Real Madrid for a British record transfer fee of almost 60 million pounds ($99.40 million).
UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
The Portuguese also wore the same number during his stint at Old Trafford, wherein he helped the English giants win three Premier League crowns and a Champions League title, among others.
"I am aware of importance of the No.7 shirt. Cristiano Ronaldo had spoken to me at Real Madrid and told me how important it was," said the 26-year-old.
"I wanted to wear it and to be able to do as much for the club as Ronaldo and all the others (who have worn it)."
The Red Devils hierarchy had to offer a huge sum for Argentine international, but the latter is determined to justify price-tag.
"It does not bother me that £60m has been paid for me," he added.
"I come here to work and play for the club and to do the best I can for Manchester United."
His arrival at United seemed to have bring back hope to supporters who were demoralised following a poor start in England's top-tier and a shocking Capital One Cup exit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- Roger Federer Hailed Swiss Sportsman Of The Year, Beating Stan Wawrinka
- Hoax Alert: Floyd Mayweather Didn’t Die Of Drug Overdose
- NFL News: Chicago Bears Likely To Fire Head Coach Marc Trestman At End Of NFL Season
- NBA Trade Discussions ‘Tremendous’; 10 Teams Including Rockets, Clippers and Hornets Active For Probable Deals—NBA Insider