Refraining from Your Regular Quota of Instant Noodles Might Save Your Life
By Pooja Bhagat | August 29, 2014 6:29 PM EST
If you love devouring a plate of hot instant noodles, be warned: it can have serious implications on your health. Journal of Nutrition recently published a study led by Hyun Shin of Harvard School of Public Health in Boston. The study states that consuming instant noodles increases a person's risk for cardio metabolic syndrome, which in turn leads to heart disease and stroke.
A study found instant noodles responsible to heart diseases and diabetes.
The study was conducted on the data collected by the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Data of 10711 adults between the ages 19 to 64 years were studied extensively. It was found that eating precooked instant noodles in any form was directly linked to abnormalities in cardiovascular, renal and metabolic system.
Surprisingly, it was noted that the effects of instant noodles are gender biased. Women consuming it twice a week or more than that were more likely to develop metabolic syndrome than men, regardless of many other and better attributes of their lifestyle,such as physical exercise, age or body weight. People with metabolic syndrome stand high chances of having either high blood pressure or diabetes.
So what make instant noodles so deadly? The answer lies in the ingredients. MSG and other chemical preservatives, added to increase the appeal and shelf life of instant noodles, wreak havoc on the human body. In addition, the noodles come packaged in styrofoam that contains bisphenol A (BPA), a well-known female hormone disruptor.
The study was focused in South Korea, which is reportedly the highest consumer of instant noodles in the world. There has been a steep rise in cases of heart disease and obesity in said country in recent years. However, the study also holds true for other nations that have these kinds of noodles in their daily staple, such as China, Indonesia, Japan, Vietnam and India.
Although the food is indubitably delicious, convenient and popular, especially among kids and teenagers, people should be made aware of its high sodium, unhealthy saturated fat and glycemic loads. Instant noodles are also sprinkled generously with potentially harmful preservatives.
The only way to save yourself from these deadly noodles is to cut them off completely from your diet. If you cannot do that, try to consume very small portions just to satisfy your taste buds.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier