Chris Weidman Promises To Dominate Vitor Belfort Via Knockout Or Submission
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 29, 2014 6:10 PM EST
UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman became a household name after being known as the man who broke Anderson "The Spider" Silva's legs. Right now, he is in cloud 9 of the mixed martial arts world, coming off two convincing wins over Silva and dominating performance against Lyoto Machida.
Jul 5, 2014: Las Vegas, NV, USA; Lyoto Machida (blue gloves) lands a blow to Chris Weidman (red gloves) during a middleweight title fight at Mandalay Bay Events Center.
Weidman is all confidence as he is set to take on Vitor "The Phenom" Belfort in UFC 181 in December. This time, he is prepared to continue his dominance atop the UFC world, vowing to be ready for either type of battle: be it grappling or striking.
"I pretty much feel like I can do anything that I want to do in there," he said. "I can stand and bang and knock him out, or I feel as if I can take him down and submit him."
The All-American fighter feels like he can finish of Belfort whatever style of play the game dictates. Weidman is currently at the top of his game, remaining immaculate in his last 12 fights with three coming from submissions and five by knockouts or TKOs while the rest were by unanimous decisions. The track record alone is enough for "The Dragon" Machida to vouch for the prowess of his latest opponent.
Machida relayed that Weidman's striking and stand up skills will come handy for Belfort and this is not to take a knock on his ground maneuvers, which are equally excellent. Machida concedes that the fight is very exciting as Belfort possesses the one punch knockout which is always a dangerous arsenal. If he was betting on the match, he would put his money on Belfort possibly winning an early knockout but if it goes beyond the first round, Weidman would dominate.
The upcoming fight is or course not without intrigue as The Phenom has long been battling critics on his involvement in testosterone replacement therapy. The Nevada Athletic Commission included the said substance in its list of prohibited drugs and a February testing revealed spiked levels of testosterone on Belfort's blood work. He was however granted a provisional license to fight last June.
Weidman does not take issue with the said controversy as he prefers that Belfort is clean of any issues of performance enhancing drugs.
"Do I think that he's going to do something sneaky? I wouldn't be surprised, because he's gotten caught cheating now twice," Weidman said in a recent interview with Sherdog.com. "I wouldn't be surprised if he does something stupid again. My biggest concern is that he gets caught again. Even if he's taking something, I don't care. Just don't get caught doing it, because I want to fight him whether he's on something or not. That's the fight that I want, and he's the guy that I want to beat up."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date