Papua New Guinea’s Mount Tavurvur Erupts, Qantas Reroutes Flights
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 29, 2014 3:52 PM EST
Mount Tavurvur in Papua New Guinea erupted on Friday morning, sending a giant ash cloud, which affected flights to and from Australia. With an estimated height of 19 kilometres for the ash plume, the Bureau of Meteorology of Australia issued an advisory to air carriers on the direction the cloud is spreading.
Australian flag carrier Qantas announced the rerouting of flights QF21 and QF22 from Sydney to Tokyo and QF130 from Shanghai to Sydney. The three flights will instead fly over central Papua New Guinea, said Qantas spokeswoman Sarah Algar.
Some residents of Rabaul Island are planning to evacuate the area after the eruption, which happened between 3:30 and 4 am.
The Sydney Morning Herald reports that rocks and dust are being blown throughout the city by the volcano, located at the north-east end of East New Britain, PNG.
The volcano has a record of regular low-level eruptions, but some residents fear that the Friday morning's eruption could be the worst eruption since 1994. However, there are no reports of injuries nor had authorities issues an evacuation order.
YouTube/FIFA2914 in Animation
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Enhanced Footage Of NASA's Tether Incident Proves Aliens Exist, Say UFO Believers And Experts [Watch Video]
- Fung-Wong More Like Ketsana Than Haiyan; Kills 1, Displaces 470,000 Filipinos & Paralyses Metro Manila
- Philippines’s Mayon Volcano Shoots Lava & Hot Boulders
- Asteroid That Killed Dinosaurs Are Responsible For A Greener Earth
- Human Faces are so Variable Because we Evolved to Look Unique, Finds Study
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1