James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
By Athena Yenko | August 29, 2014 1:44 PM EST
The Islamic State tortured James Foley through waterboarding -- a technique popularly attributed to the CIA.
Foley was subjected to waterboarding for several times, according to sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
Reuters/Social Media Website v
A masked Islamic State militant holding a knife speaks next to man purported to be U.S. journalist James Foley at an unknown location in this still image from an undated video posted on a social media website.
Torture through waterboarding involves the victim being strapped down on gurneys. A cloth is placed on the victim's face. Cold water is then poured onto the victim's face. According to a May 2005 memo that discussed the CIA's use of the technique against 9/11 suspects, the wet cloth made it impossible for the victim to breathe; it is as if they are drowning.
"They knew exactly how it was done," the source told The Washington Post.
Another source confirmed the information: "Yes, that is part of the information that bubbled up and Jim [James Foely] was subject to it. I believe he suffered a lot of physical abuse."
However, Foley's mother, Diane Foley, said that she does not know any information saying that her son was waterboarded.
The FBI refused to comment about the information.
"ISIL is a group that routinely crucifies and beheads people. To suggest that there is any correlation between ISIL's brutality and past U.S. actions is ridiculous and feeds into their twisted propaganda," an FBI official said.
On Friday, reports are out that the Islamic State is again out with a horrific video showing how it executed a number of Syrian soldiers. The YouTube video showed corpses of soldiers wearing nothing but underwear. The bodies were lying facedown. The caption of the video reads that the corpses totaled to 250.
The first shot of the film shows the captive soldiers marching in a desert, their hands behind their heads. As they march on, they chant on, saying, "It shall remain," as a response to a fighter shouting "Islamic State."
In another video, one Syrian soldier is being interrogated by a fighter.
"How many have you killed? How many have you raped?" the interrogator shouts.
"None. I've been stationed here in the airport," the soldier responded.
As the interrogation went on, the fighter said that the soldier will eventually be slaughtered.
There had been no official reports yet to confirm the authenticity of the video as of press time.
However, an Islamic State fighter confirmed that the video was real.
"Yes, we have executed them all," the fighter said in an email obtained by Reuters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- New Zealand Companies Slow In CSR Initiatives: Study
- Chinese Property Developer Flees To New Zealand After China Arrests Vice-Mayor For Corrupt Deals
- Scotland Voted Against Independence, Early Results Indicate
- ‘No’ Leads As Scottish Independence Vote Boost Sales Of Braveheart; Anticipated ‘No’ Votes Win Strengthens British Pound