'State of Affairs' Star Katherine Heigl Drops $6M Lawsuit Over Duane Reade Tweet
By Annie Dee | August 29, 2014 1:01 PM EST
Actress Katherine Heigl and drugstore, Duane Reade, have reached an amicable settlement over the $6 million-plus lawsuit that the former "Grey's Anatomy" star slapped on the drugstore.
Actress Katherine Heigl poses at Variety's 4th Annual Power of Women event in Beverly Hills, California in this October 5, 2012 file photo.
The Hollywood Reporter reports that the actress has decided to drop the lawsuit over the paparazzi photo that the drugstore posted of her online, where she can be seen carrying one of the drugstore's bags as she left one of the store's branches. The big drugstore tweeted the specific photo of Heigle but deleted it afterwards. According to the Hollywood Reporter, the actress decided to drop the lawsuit because Duane Reade made an undisclosed contribution to the Jason Debus Heigl Foundation in exchange.
The Jason Debus Heigl Foundation is an animal welfare charity that the actress and her mom established in the memory of her brother, who was fatally injured in a car accident in 1986 and died as a result.
"The parties have agreed to keep the terms of the agreement confidential", shared the "27 Dresses" star's lawyer, Corey Field.
It could be remembered that the case broke out over Heigl's displeasure to see her picture taken in March near a Duane Reade store while she was working in New York shooting for a pilot episode for her new television series. The complaint provided that the drugstore used the picture on both its Twitter and Facebook pages, with the intention of promoting the store, but without seeking the approval of the said actress first. The lawsuit also cited the specific tweet that the drugstore posted in March.
"Love a quick #DuaneReade run? Even @KatieHeigl can't resist shopping #NYC's favorite drugstore", the tweet read.
The papers to dismiss the lawsuit were submitted in New York federal court last August 26, 2014. The dismissal comes with prejudice, which means that the actress cannot bring up the issue ever again and sue at a later time over the drugstore's tweet and Facebook post.
Katherine Heigl is currently working on a new NBC show, "State of Affairs". The show is set to air on November and marks the actress's return to TV since her departure from "Grey's Anatomy", the long-running hit ABC show.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- 'Fast & Furious 7' Plot Update: Ludacris Reveals Paul Walker's Old Photo, Vin Diesel Shares A Photo Of Himself In Car
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand