'State of Affairs' Star Katherine Heigl Drops $6M Lawsuit Over Duane Reade Tweet
By Annie Dee | August 29, 2014 1:01 PM EST
Actress Katherine Heigl and drugstore, Duane Reade, have reached an amicable settlement over the $6 million-plus lawsuit that the former "Grey's Anatomy" star slapped on the drugstore.
Actress Katherine Heigl poses at Variety's 4th Annual Power of Women event in Beverly Hills, California in this October 5, 2012 file photo.
The Hollywood Reporter reports that the actress has decided to drop the lawsuit over the paparazzi photo that the drugstore posted of her online, where she can be seen carrying one of the drugstore's bags as she left one of the store's branches. The big drugstore tweeted the specific photo of Heigle but deleted it afterwards. According to the Hollywood Reporter, the actress decided to drop the lawsuit because Duane Reade made an undisclosed contribution to the Jason Debus Heigl Foundation in exchange.
The Jason Debus Heigl Foundation is an animal welfare charity that the actress and her mom established in the memory of her brother, who was fatally injured in a car accident in 1986 and died as a result.
"The parties have agreed to keep the terms of the agreement confidential", shared the "27 Dresses" star's lawyer, Corey Field.
It could be remembered that the case broke out over Heigl's displeasure to see her picture taken in March near a Duane Reade store while she was working in New York shooting for a pilot episode for her new television series. The complaint provided that the drugstore used the picture on both its Twitter and Facebook pages, with the intention of promoting the store, but without seeking the approval of the said actress first. The lawsuit also cited the specific tweet that the drugstore posted in March.
"Love a quick #DuaneReade run? Even @KatieHeigl can't resist shopping #NYC's favorite drugstore", the tweet read.
The papers to dismiss the lawsuit were submitted in New York federal court last August 26, 2014. The dismissal comes with prejudice, which means that the actress cannot bring up the issue ever again and sue at a later time over the drugstore's tweet and Facebook post.
Katherine Heigl is currently working on a new NBC show, "State of Affairs". The show is set to air on November and marks the actress's return to TV since her departure from "Grey's Anatomy", the long-running hit ABC show.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- 'The Mentalist' Season 7, Episode 1 Spoilers: The Ending Begins For Patrick Jane And Teresa Lisbon (Synopsis)
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports