US Open Recap: Eighth-Seed Ana Ivanovic Falls To Karolina Pliskova In Second Round
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 29, 2014 12:13 PM EST
The top seeds in women's tennis are falling like flies at the 2014 US Open.
Ana Ivanovic, the women's eight-seed, was eliminated by No. 42 Czech Karolina Pliskova bowing down in to straight sets, 7-5, 6-4. She was uncharacteristically sloppy during the whole game, spreading 29 unforced errors.
Ana Ivanovic of Serbia hits a return to Karolina Pliskova of the Czech Republic during their match at the 2014 U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York, August 28, 2014.
This was sour end to an otherwise bright year for the come backing Ivanovic who has won 47 matches all throughout the year, the most of any female player in the sport. While she won PGA tours, she was not able to snatch any major tournament. She reached the quarterfinals of the Australian Open but was eliminated in the preliminary rounds at Roland Garros and Wimbledon.
However, she accumulated three titles for the year which propelled her back to the top ten rankings, her best since 2009 when she won the French Open. The US Open was more of her Achilles heel, reaching only the quarterfinals just once in 10 appearances.
''It was just really bad day,'' the eighth-seeded Ivanovic said via the tournament's official website. "My rhythm was really off. And, yeah, my forehand wasn't working at all.''
The Serbian player assessed that she has to perform well in major tournaments while she did have great success in the lead-ups to such competitions. She is the latest top seed to exit early in New York joining no. 4 ranked Agnieszka Radwanska, who bowed to Peng Shuai in the second round.
In other women's singles developments, top-seeded Serena Williams had an easy outing over no. 81 Vania King, 6-1, 6-0. She is determined to become the first women to capture the US Open for three consecutive years and still remains the favorite to do so as shown by her performance in the second round, battling poor weather conditions to impose a dominating win.
Victoria Azarenka, the 16th seed, came back from being down 0-3 in the first set, to beat 44th ranked American Christina McHale, 6-3, 6-2 in the other second round match-up. Azarenka had to overcome injury concerns during the year to be able to capture the magic of Australian Open wins.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports