Pacquiao-Mayweather Fight Looking Dim, Pacman Considering Moving Down In Weight Class
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 29, 2014 11:27 AM EST
Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. must be getting tired of hearing each other's names during every press conference for their fights.
Manny Pacquiao (L) from the Philippines and Chris Algieri of the U.S. pose during a promotional event at a hotel in downtown Shanghai August 26, 2014. Pacquiao will defend his WBO welterweight title against Algieri at the Venetian's Cotai Arena in Macau on November 22, 2014. REUTERS/Carlos Barria (CHINA - Tags: SPORT BOXING)
During the San Francisco leg of the media tour for his upcoming fight against Chris Algieri, Pacquiao, also known as The Pacman, was again bombarded with questions of the potential super fight. He just referenced Mayweather during a phone interview with Yahoo Sports as "The one we don't mention." He definitely wants to move on and avoid any questions Mayweather-related. In fact, he is contemplating a bigger move-- moving down in weight.
"I could make either weight, 135 or 140, easily," Pacquiao said. "It would be easy for me. I am at 147 because that's where the action is in terms of the opponent, but it wouldn't be hard."
The only eight division world champion has been fighting at the catch-weight of 147 for the past few years only because the cream of the crop in boxing is in that division and that there was speculation that the dream match with Mayweather will happen if he moved up. With all that looking dim, Pacquiao is seriously considering going down and looking for the next big thing in boxing in the lower weight class.
The Nov. 22 fight against Algieri in Macau is being contested at a catch weight of 144 pounds. Pacquiao's mentor and world class trainer Freddie Roach expressed his desire to move down the agreed weight at 140 in order to put both Algieri's WBO super lightweight belt as well as the contested Pacquaio's WBO welterweight belt.
"Manny hasn't really carried his power up with him to 147, but he is a very big puncher at 140," Roach said of Pacquiao. "It's a much better weight for him, to be honest with you. He would hurt guys at 140."
The last time Manny Pacquiao, the congressman of Sarangani weighed less than 145 in bouts was in 2009 when he fought Ricky Hatton and registered a pre-fight weight of 138. Ideally, Roach would like Pacquiao to go back to his real devastating weight and punish opponents but with the way he has been dismantling boxers at any division, there is no telling what real weight class the Filipino boxer would be best.
Pacquiao's diversity in weight class not only stands in boxing but also in real life. He was recently drafted no. 11 in the Philippine Basketball Association last Sunday. Aside from being a professional cager, he is also set to become the coach of the Kia Motors squad. Aside from all these, he is also a lawmaker, an actor, a singer, a television host and a pastor.
For more Manny Pacquiao news, read more at IBT Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]