Barista Gets 40 Job Offers After Being Refused Job For Being Black
By Revathi Siva Kumar | August 29, 2014 11:17 AM EST
Nilson Dos Santos received 40 job offers after cafe owner Steven He refused him a job last Sunday because he was black. Today, it is the cafe owner who is almost broke.
Steven He, owner of Darlinghurst cafe Forbes & Burton, Sydney, had told Santos: “My customers are white. I don’t think they want their coffee made by black people.”
Immediately, Santos got up and asked the customers if they had any problems with him. Shock and anger prompted three customers and a staff member to leave. Others egged all the employees to boycott the restaurant and started a campaign for Santos in the social media.
Soon after Steven had to close his restaurant.
Meanwhile, Santos has not only joined a barista job at Taylor Square bar and cafe Coco Cubano, he is also excited about the new beginning and has even recommended some of the jobs he had been offered to the employees who had sent Steven to Coventry. "I just felt really, really sad because I keep stopping [to] think about how many people lost their jobs," he said. "I just broke down and cried because I was really emotional about it."
For the last three months, Santos had been unemployed and was struggling to make ends meet, but he now has a job that he loves.
Santos has also become a well-known personality in Darlinghurst, even attracting an Aboriginal woman who invited him to lunch, expressing her love and pride.
Coco Cubano manager, Steve Sosah, is excited to have Santos in his cafe.
"Nilson's got such a great and positive energy," he said. "It's all about bringing your own personality to the table, no matter who you are. "
Dos Santos has plans to move on to Paddington with a friend, thrilled about his new job.
He, meanwhile, is under the scrutiny of the Fair Work Ombudsman.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28