Barista Gets 40 Job Offers After Being Refused Job For Being Black
By Revathi Siva Kumar | August 29, 2014 11:17 AM EST
Nilson Dos Santos received 40 job offers after cafe owner Steven He refused him a job last Sunday because he was black. Today, it is the cafe owner who is almost broke.
Steven He, owner of Darlinghurst cafe Forbes & Burton, Sydney, had told Santos: “My customers are white. I don’t think they want their coffee made by black people.”
Immediately, Santos got up and asked the customers if they had any problems with him. Shock and anger prompted three customers and a staff member to leave. Others egged all the employees to boycott the restaurant and started a campaign for Santos in the social media.
Soon after Steven had to close his restaurant.
Meanwhile, Santos has not only joined a barista job at Taylor Square bar and cafe Coco Cubano, he is also excited about the new beginning and has even recommended some of the jobs he had been offered to the employees who had sent Steven to Coventry. "I just felt really, really sad because I keep stopping [to] think about how many people lost their jobs," he said. "I just broke down and cried because I was really emotional about it."
For the last three months, Santos had been unemployed and was struggling to make ends meet, but he now has a job that he loves.
Santos has also become a well-known personality in Darlinghurst, even attracting an Aboriginal woman who invited him to lunch, expressing her love and pride.
Coco Cubano manager, Steve Sosah, is excited to have Santos in his cafe.
"Nilson's got such a great and positive energy," he said. "It's all about bringing your own personality to the table, no matter who you are. "
Dos Santos has plans to move on to Paddington with a friend, thrilled about his new job.
He, meanwhile, is under the scrutiny of the Fair Work Ombudsman.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party And Chose For Simple Gathering
- Afghan Pizza Man Shot Dead in Canada
- Canadian Feminists Angry At Japanese Naked Sushi Dining Experience As Sexist, Discriminatory
- At What Age Do Boys And Girls Look Best To Each Other?
- Canada Fire May Destroy Valuable Artwork
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- US Government Threatened Yahoo to Provide User Data: If not Pay a Fine of $250,000 per day
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Moto X Pure Edition is Coming Soon with Wi-Fi Calling – Reports
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List