Suspended Wideout Josh Gordon Cannot Play in Canadian Football League
By Lou Imperial | August 29, 2014 10:46 AM EST
Wide receiver Josh Gordon, who is already suspended for one season after NFL previous decision was upheld on Wednesday, is barred to play in the Canadian Football League (CFL) per provisions of his contract with the Cleveland Browns.
ESPN NFL insider Chris Mortesen claimed an NFL source told him that Gordon cannot take his talent north of the border, because he's bound by the contract he signed with the Browns.
"Gordon would explore the possibility of playing in the CFL for the remainder of its season, but an NFL source told ESPN's Pat McManamon that provisions in his Browns contract would prevent him from doing so," ESPN reported,
Moreover, CFL official also cleared player suspended by the NFL or another league is not allowed to play because it breaches the contract with another ball club.
The National Football League issued a statement on Wednesday, announcing that arbitrator Harold Henderson upheld the league's decision to suspend Gordon for the entire 2014-15 NFL season after violating the substance abuse policy for a third time.
Gordon tested positive for using marijuana, prompting league officials to place a harsh but justifiable disciplinary action. Gordon and his camp tried to reverse the decision by appealing the decision in New York last August 4.
The 23-year old Gordon is barred to participate in any practice or meeting with the Browns until the suspension is lifted. He's also required to undergo the league treatment program and random drug testing.
According to sources, Gordon will pursue available legal options to lessen his suspension, but NFL's collective bargaining agreement disallowed the court from interfering with the league decision.
Gordon covered 1,646 yards on 83 receptions with 9 touchdowns last season to become a Pro Bowl player for the first time in his career.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia