Suspended Wideout Josh Gordon Cannot Play in Canadian Football League
By Lou Imperial | August 29, 2014 10:46 AM EST
Wide receiver Josh Gordon, who is already suspended for one season after NFL previous decision was upheld on Wednesday, is barred to play in the Canadian Football League (CFL) per provisions of his contract with the Cleveland Browns.
ESPN NFL insider Chris Mortesen claimed an NFL source told him that Gordon cannot take his talent north of the border, because he's bound by the contract he signed with the Browns.
"Gordon would explore the possibility of playing in the CFL for the remainder of its season, but an NFL source told ESPN's Pat McManamon that provisions in his Browns contract would prevent him from doing so," ESPN reported,
Moreover, CFL official also cleared player suspended by the NFL or another league is not allowed to play because it breaches the contract with another ball club.
The National Football League issued a statement on Wednesday, announcing that arbitrator Harold Henderson upheld the league's decision to suspend Gordon for the entire 2014-15 NFL season after violating the substance abuse policy for a third time.
Gordon tested positive for using marijuana, prompting league officials to place a harsh but justifiable disciplinary action. Gordon and his camp tried to reverse the decision by appealing the decision in New York last August 4.
The 23-year old Gordon is barred to participate in any practice or meeting with the Browns until the suspension is lifted. He's also required to undergo the league treatment program and random drug testing.
According to sources, Gordon will pursue available legal options to lessen his suspension, but NFL's collective bargaining agreement disallowed the court from interfering with the league decision.
Gordon covered 1,646 yards on 83 receptions with 9 touchdowns last season to become a Pro Bowl player for the first time in his career.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports