Broncos' Peyton Manning Fined For Taunting; QB Retaliates After Wes Welker’s Injury
By Lou Imperial | August 29, 2014 10:32 AM EST
Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning has been slapped with a $8,258 fine by the NFL for taunting in Saturday's preseason match against the Houston Texans, ESPN reported on Thursday morning.
Manning accepted the penalty given to him by the league after Houston safety D.J. Swearinger after hooking up with Emmanuel Sanders for a 29-yard TD score in the second quarter of the match.
"I accept the fine. It's money well spent," Manning said via ESPN. Manning will try to guide the Denver Broncos back to the Super Bowl after falling short against the Seattle Seahawks in last year's championship match.
It appears Manning's taunting was triggered by Swearinger after the safety's ferocious blow to wide receiver Wes Welker, who suffered a concussion in the match.
Record stated that it was the first time Manning was called for an unsportsmanlike conduct in his career. However, for the future Hall of Famer, the fine for taunting was all worth it.
"Fifteen yards with five seconds left in the half doesn't hurt you that much," Manning said. "I think if you're going to get one that's a good time to get one."
Meanwhile, Welker already underwent tests to determine the severity of concussion, and medical findings indicated that he's not seriously injured. Then again, Welker is expected to be sidelined in conformity of the NFL's concussion protocol.
Welker, who was sidelined for the third time since the concussion protocol was implemented in November of 2013, covered 778 yards on 73 receptions with 10 touchdown passes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks