‘Sherlock’ Season 4 Will be ‘Full of Surprises,’ Martin Freeman Says
By Anne Lu | August 29, 2014 10:08 AM EST
“Sherlock” star Martin Freeman said that the fourth season of the show will be “full of surprises.” The 42-year-old actor, who plays Dr John Watson in the UK crime drama, teased fans on the upcoming series, saying it will be “very exciting.”
In an interview with BBC Radio Wales, Freeman told listeners that their fans would love what they have in store for the show.
“It’s going to be full of surprises for you and for us and for everybody. I think we just know to expect the unexpected now,” he said.
“What has been explained to me and Ben [Benedict Cumberbatch, the titular “Sherlock”] and Amanda Abbington, my missus who plays Mary, has been very exciting.
“The plans they have got for the overarching series... oh man! It’s just so exciting!”
Freeman just won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie for “Sherlock” on Monday, while Cumberbatch won the Outstanding Lead Actor trophy. The show’s co-creator, Steven Moffat, took home the Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Dramatic Special.
“It just keeps going from strength to strength really,” the actor said of the show’s success both in the UK and worldwide. “We’re all very proud of it, we’re all very pleased to be in it and involved in it. I think, as a nation, it’s one of the UK’s finest exports.”
Freeman might have described the new season as “exciting,” but the way Moffat put it after receiving his award, it isn’t going to be pleasant. In fact, Moffat used the word “devastating.”
“I do think our plan is devastating,” he said. “We practically reduced our cast to tears by revealing the plan.”
So perhaps what Moffat thought was devastating was actually exciting for Freeman and the rest of the cast. They might have been reduced to tears, but they were tears of happiness. One can only hope.
As what has become a tradition for the show, “Sherlock” will return in 2016, two years after the last season. It premiered in 2010 with three episodes before going on hiatus for two years. The second season came back in 2012, again with three episodes, and the third one was earlier in 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS