‘Sherlock’ Season 4 Will be ‘Full of Surprises,’ Martin Freeman Says
By Anne Lu | August 29, 2014 10:08 AM EST
“Sherlock” star Martin Freeman said that the fourth season of the show will be “full of surprises.” The 42-year-old actor, who plays Dr John Watson in the UK crime drama, teased fans on the upcoming series, saying it will be “very exciting.”
In an interview with BBC Radio Wales, Freeman told listeners that their fans would love what they have in store for the show.
“It’s going to be full of surprises for you and for us and for everybody. I think we just know to expect the unexpected now,” he said.
“What has been explained to me and Ben [Benedict Cumberbatch, the titular “Sherlock”] and Amanda Abbington, my missus who plays Mary, has been very exciting.
“The plans they have got for the overarching series... oh man! It’s just so exciting!”
Freeman just won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie for “Sherlock” on Monday, while Cumberbatch won the Outstanding Lead Actor trophy. The show’s co-creator, Steven Moffat, took home the Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Dramatic Special.
“It just keeps going from strength to strength really,” the actor said of the show’s success both in the UK and worldwide. “We’re all very proud of it, we’re all very pleased to be in it and involved in it. I think, as a nation, it’s one of the UK’s finest exports.”
Freeman might have described the new season as “exciting,” but the way Moffat put it after receiving his award, it isn’t going to be pleasant. In fact, Moffat used the word “devastating.”
“I do think our plan is devastating,” he said. “We practically reduced our cast to tears by revealing the plan.”
So perhaps what Moffat thought was devastating was actually exciting for Freeman and the rest of the cast. They might have been reduced to tears, but they were tears of happiness. One can only hope.
As what has become a tradition for the show, “Sherlock” will return in 2016, two years after the last season. It premiered in 2010 with three episodes before going on hiatus for two years. The second season came back in 2012, again with three episodes, and the third one was earlier in 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Kris Jenner Shocks Boyfriend Corey Gamble In The Bedroom With Her Tricks And Fabulous Sex Life
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft