Android 5.0 L Update Forecast For Sony Xperia Z Series, Mid-Range and Low-Cost Devices
By Ryan Inoyori | August 29, 2014 9:59 AM EST
Android 5.0 L is expected to become available among several Sony Xperia devices including Xperia Z Series, mid-range smartphones and even low-cost models. Here are the details based on the release dates, end of life cycle and Android KitKat upgrade plans.
Sony Xperia Z Series
Sony Xperia Z2, Xperia Z2 Tablet, Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1S, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact are all eligible for Android L according to the official release date which covers the 18-month software support window period. Moreover, successor models from Sony Mobile are also accounted to receive Android L that allegedly known as Xperia Z3, Xperia Z3 Tablet and Xperia Z3 Compact.
For older Xperia Z models released back in 2013, Sony Mobile will provide the discretion about eligibility due to some factors noted on the support Web pages:
- Older Xperia Z and Xperia ZL were released in early 2013 and almost near the end of the 18 months software support. Xperia ZR was released in June 2013 while Xperia Z Tablet in May 2013.
- Within the 18 months support provided by Sony, these devices have already received three major software upgrades from Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Android 4.2 and 4.3 were rolled out in 2013 while Android 4.4.2 in 2014. Android 4.4.4 KitKat update has already leaked from Sony Mobile forums and PTCRB.
- Sony Mobile holds the right to extend software updates based on system requirements and user demography.
Mid-Range and Low-Cost Devices
Some mid-range and low-cost devices released in 2014 have already received Android 4.4.2 KitKat update including Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia M2 and Xperia E1 along with any available dual-SIM variants. Similar factors such as software support duration, system requirements and user demography applied on Xperia Z series are likely to be considered on upgrading mid-ranges and low-cost models to Android L.
Android 4.4 KitKat Upgrade Plans
Flow of the Android L update depends on when Google will officially launch the firmware and Sony Mobile needs time to integrate exclusive apps and services before any rollout to users could take place. As a hint, users can follow the Android KitKat upgrade plans from Sony Mobile as a guide to determine which device will get Android L first.
1. Both Android 4.4.2 and 4.4.4 KitKat update initially rollout on Sony Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact.
2. Android 4.4.2 update rollout continued on Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z.
3. Mid-range and low-cost devices then received Android 4.4.2 KitKat such as Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia M2 and Xperia E1.
4. Android 4.4.4 KitKat has been spotted for Xperia Z which is found compatible with Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z as well.
5. Official release date of Android 4.4.4 KitKat for Sony Xperia Z2 and Xperia Z2 Tablet remains unknown at this time.
6. Xperia M2 Aqua, Xperia C3 and Xperia T3 recently joined the mid-range device models of 2014 running Android KitKat as factory OS.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories