Android 5.0 L Update Forecast For Sony Xperia Z Series, Mid-Range and Low-Cost Devices
By Ryan Inoyori | August 29, 2014 9:59 AM EST
Android 5.0 L is expected to become available among several Sony Xperia devices including Xperia Z Series, mid-range smartphones and even low-cost models. Here are the details based on the release dates, end of life cycle and Android KitKat upgrade plans.
Sony Xperia Z Series
Sony Xperia Z2, Xperia Z2 Tablet, Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1S, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact are all eligible for Android L according to the official release date which covers the 18-month software support window period. Moreover, successor models from Sony Mobile are also accounted to receive Android L that allegedly known as Xperia Z3, Xperia Z3 Tablet and Xperia Z3 Compact.
For older Xperia Z models released back in 2013, Sony Mobile will provide the discretion about eligibility due to some factors noted on the support Web pages:
- Older Xperia Z and Xperia ZL were released in early 2013 and almost near the end of the 18 months software support. Xperia ZR was released in June 2013 while Xperia Z Tablet in May 2013.
- Within the 18 months support provided by Sony, these devices have already received three major software upgrades from Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Android 4.2 and 4.3 were rolled out in 2013 while Android 4.4.2 in 2014. Android 4.4.4 KitKat update has already leaked from Sony Mobile forums and PTCRB.
- Sony Mobile holds the right to extend software updates based on system requirements and user demography.
Mid-Range and Low-Cost Devices
Some mid-range and low-cost devices released in 2014 have already received Android 4.4.2 KitKat update including Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia M2 and Xperia E1 along with any available dual-SIM variants. Similar factors such as software support duration, system requirements and user demography applied on Xperia Z series are likely to be considered on upgrading mid-ranges and low-cost models to Android L.
Android 4.4 KitKat Upgrade Plans
Flow of the Android L update depends on when Google will officially launch the firmware and Sony Mobile needs time to integrate exclusive apps and services before any rollout to users could take place. As a hint, users can follow the Android KitKat upgrade plans from Sony Mobile as a guide to determine which device will get Android L first.
1. Both Android 4.4.2 and 4.4.4 KitKat update initially rollout on Sony Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact.
2. Android 4.4.2 update rollout continued on Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z.
3. Mid-range and low-cost devices then received Android 4.4.2 KitKat such as Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia M2 and Xperia E1.
4. Android 4.4.4 KitKat has been spotted for Xperia Z which is found compatible with Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z as well.
5. Official release date of Android 4.4.4 KitKat for Sony Xperia Z2 and Xperia Z2 Tablet remains unknown at this time.
6. Xperia M2 Aqua, Xperia C3 and Xperia T3 recently joined the mid-range device models of 2014 running Android KitKat as factory OS.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Facebook To Charge Users Of $2.99 Monthly Fee On November 1; Best Free Alternatives For Facebook
- Microsoft Promises A Better ‘Minecraft,’ Game To Come to Windows Phone
- The Pirate Bay Operations: 21 Virtual Machines Are Used To Run The File-sharing Website
- The Release of Xperia Z3 is Nearing Sony Slashes Price of the Xperia Z2 by $200
- The Best Smartphones Yet To Release in 2014
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border