Android 5.0 L Update Forecast For Sony Xperia Z Series, Mid-Range and Low-Cost Devices
By Ryan Inoyori | August 29, 2014 9:59 AM EST
Android 5.0 L is expected to become available among several Sony Xperia devices including Xperia Z Series, mid-range smartphones and even low-cost models. Here are the details based on the release dates, end of life cycle and Android KitKat upgrade plans.
Sony Xperia Z Series
Sony Xperia Z2, Xperia Z2 Tablet, Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1S, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact are all eligible for Android L according to the official release date which covers the 18-month software support window period. Moreover, successor models from Sony Mobile are also accounted to receive Android L that allegedly known as Xperia Z3, Xperia Z3 Tablet and Xperia Z3 Compact.
For older Xperia Z models released back in 2013, Sony Mobile will provide the discretion about eligibility due to some factors noted on the support Web pages:
- Older Xperia Z and Xperia ZL were released in early 2013 and almost near the end of the 18 months software support. Xperia ZR was released in June 2013 while Xperia Z Tablet in May 2013.
- Within the 18 months support provided by Sony, these devices have already received three major software upgrades from Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Android 4.2 and 4.3 were rolled out in 2013 while Android 4.4.2 in 2014. Android 4.4.4 KitKat update has already leaked from Sony Mobile forums and PTCRB.
- Sony Mobile holds the right to extend software updates based on system requirements and user demography.
Mid-Range and Low-Cost Devices
Some mid-range and low-cost devices released in 2014 have already received Android 4.4.2 KitKat update including Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia M2 and Xperia E1 along with any available dual-SIM variants. Similar factors such as software support duration, system requirements and user demography applied on Xperia Z series are likely to be considered on upgrading mid-ranges and low-cost models to Android L.
Android 4.4 KitKat Upgrade Plans
Flow of the Android L update depends on when Google will officially launch the firmware and Sony Mobile needs time to integrate exclusive apps and services before any rollout to users could take place. As a hint, users can follow the Android KitKat upgrade plans from Sony Mobile as a guide to determine which device will get Android L first.
1. Both Android 4.4.2 and 4.4.4 KitKat update initially rollout on Sony Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact.
2. Android 4.4.2 update rollout continued on Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z.
3. Mid-range and low-cost devices then received Android 4.4.2 KitKat such as Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia M2 and Xperia E1.
4. Android 4.4.4 KitKat has been spotted for Xperia Z which is found compatible with Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z as well.
5. Official release date of Android 4.4.4 KitKat for Sony Xperia Z2 and Xperia Z2 Tablet remains unknown at this time.
6. Xperia M2 Aqua, Xperia C3 and Xperia T3 recently joined the mid-range device models of 2014 running Android KitKat as factory OS.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'Dragon Age Keep' Guide: How To Use And Set Up Background Story For 'Dragon Age Inquisition'
- Google Nexus 6 Sold-Out Inventory: Android 5.0, Motorola-Nexus Branding, Network Carriers, Competitive Price
- ‘Destiny': Apocalypse-Themed Sparrows, Pumpkin Head Weapons As Contents For Halloween
- The Xperia Z3: A Review On Sony’s New Flagship
- Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Developer Edition Now Available At $699.99, Without Instalment Plan Options
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2