‘Captain America 3’: Winter Soldier Story Closure, Chris Evans 'Not' Returning---Reports
By Tanya Diente | August 29, 2014 9:49 AM EST
Fans are reportedly wondering whether Chris Evans would return as "Captain America" in the third installment of the movie. After all, in the comicbook source, there have been plenty of times when Steve Rogers had handed over his superhero task. However, for now the actor's involvement in "Captain America 3" is still uncertain as reports claim that even the movie's directors are vague on Cap's future.
Cast member Chris Evans poses at a press line for the movie "Avengers: Age of Ultron" during the 2014 Comic-Con International Convention in San Diego, California July 26, 2014.
According to MTV, "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" co-directors and brothers Joe and Anthony Russo didn't exactly confirm if Chris Evans would reprise his role as the super soldier in "Captain America 3." However, Anthony may have provided some hints.
"It is a hard question to answer because it gets to the specific of where the narratives are going," he told MTV's Kevin P. Sullivan.
"I will say this: yes, for satisfying storytelling, you want a beginning, middle and end," Anthony Russo added.
Additionally, he may have also hinted that Chris Evans will eventually have to turn over his role as the superhero to another actor, according to Movieweb.
The director claims the great thing about Marvel's cinematic universe is that it's "inter-connected." So there's a tendency for characters to "rise and fall and hand off to other characters." In a sense, Russo claims some characters will have their closure while others start anew.
In that case, Movieweb claims Chris Evans may only appear as Steve Rogers, sans the shield and suit, and only as a cameo in his future films where he is expected to appear as "Captain America." The actor has reportedly signed on for a six-film contract with Marvel. Apparently, the site claims the actor's future in "Captain America 3" is still uncertain since filmmakers have yet to make a definite plan for his character.
A separate interview with Movies.Com could further fuel speculations on whether Chris Evans would reprise his role as Captain America in the third franchise. Anthony Russo revealed scriptwriters have added new characters to the movie.
"I can't divulge who is going to be in the film, but I think the fans are going to freak out when they hear about it," he said.
It's been reported that Jeremy Renner may make an appearance in the third installment as Hawkeye. However, as to the other surprise characters in the film, the Russo brothers declined to reveal any details.
The director seemed pretty clear when he said that Cap and Winter Soldier's relationship, which was never resolved in the sequel, will be revisited in "Captain America 3." Russo claims it would "definitely form one layer of the next movie" due to the "philosophical and emotional questions" it triggers.
Additionally, the director claims they want to keep Captain America moving "further forward into the modern age." "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" was just the beginning.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Sept. 22-26 Spoilers: Updates On Nick And Sharon’s Wedding, Hilary, Neil, Phyllis, Chelsea, Billy And More
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border