‘Captain America 3’: Winter Soldier Story Closure, Chris Evans 'Not' Returning---Reports
By Tanya Diente | August 29, 2014 9:49 AM EST
Fans are reportedly wondering whether Chris Evans would return as "Captain America" in the third installment of the movie. After all, in the comicbook source, there have been plenty of times when Steve Rogers had handed over his superhero task. However, for now the actor's involvement in "Captain America 3" is still uncertain as reports claim that even the movie's directors are vague on Cap's future.
Cast member Chris Evans poses at a press line for the movie "Avengers: Age of Ultron" during the 2014 Comic-Con International Convention in San Diego, California July 26, 2014.
According to MTV, "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" co-directors and brothers Joe and Anthony Russo didn't exactly confirm if Chris Evans would reprise his role as the super soldier in "Captain America 3." However, Anthony may have provided some hints.
"It is a hard question to answer because it gets to the specific of where the narratives are going," he told MTV's Kevin P. Sullivan.
"I will say this: yes, for satisfying storytelling, you want a beginning, middle and end," Anthony Russo added.
Additionally, he may have also hinted that Chris Evans will eventually have to turn over his role as the superhero to another actor, according to Movieweb.
The director claims the great thing about Marvel's cinematic universe is that it's "inter-connected." So there's a tendency for characters to "rise and fall and hand off to other characters." In a sense, Russo claims some characters will have their closure while others start anew.
In that case, Movieweb claims Chris Evans may only appear as Steve Rogers, sans the shield and suit, and only as a cameo in his future films where he is expected to appear as "Captain America." The actor has reportedly signed on for a six-film contract with Marvel. Apparently, the site claims the actor's future in "Captain America 3" is still uncertain since filmmakers have yet to make a definite plan for his character.
A separate interview with Movies.Com could further fuel speculations on whether Chris Evans would reprise his role as Captain America in the third franchise. Anthony Russo revealed scriptwriters have added new characters to the movie.
"I can't divulge who is going to be in the film, but I think the fans are going to freak out when they hear about it," he said.
It's been reported that Jeremy Renner may make an appearance in the third installment as Hawkeye. However, as to the other surprise characters in the film, the Russo brothers declined to reveal any details.
The director seemed pretty clear when he said that Cap and Winter Soldier's relationship, which was never resolved in the sequel, will be revisited in "Captain America 3." Russo claims it would "definitely form one layer of the next movie" due to the "philosophical and emotional questions" it triggers.
Additionally, the director claims they want to keep Captain America moving "further forward into the modern age." "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" was just the beginning.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports