‘Captain America 3’: Winter Soldier Story Closure, Chris Evans 'Not' Returning---Reports
By Tanya Diente | August 29, 2014 9:49 AM EST
Fans are reportedly wondering whether Chris Evans would return as "Captain America" in the third installment of the movie. After all, in the comicbook source, there have been plenty of times when Steve Rogers had handed over his superhero task. However, for now the actor's involvement in "Captain America 3" is still uncertain as reports claim that even the movie's directors are vague on Cap's future.
Cast member Chris Evans poses at a press line for the movie "Avengers: Age of Ultron" during the 2014 Comic-Con International Convention in San Diego, California July 26, 2014.
According to MTV, "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" co-directors and brothers Joe and Anthony Russo didn't exactly confirm if Chris Evans would reprise his role as the super soldier in "Captain America 3." However, Anthony may have provided some hints.
"It is a hard question to answer because it gets to the specific of where the narratives are going," he told MTV's Kevin P. Sullivan.
"I will say this: yes, for satisfying storytelling, you want a beginning, middle and end," Anthony Russo added.
Additionally, he may have also hinted that Chris Evans will eventually have to turn over his role as the superhero to another actor, according to Movieweb.
The director claims the great thing about Marvel's cinematic universe is that it's "inter-connected." So there's a tendency for characters to "rise and fall and hand off to other characters." In a sense, Russo claims some characters will have their closure while others start anew.
In that case, Movieweb claims Chris Evans may only appear as Steve Rogers, sans the shield and suit, and only as a cameo in his future films where he is expected to appear as "Captain America." The actor has reportedly signed on for a six-film contract with Marvel. Apparently, the site claims the actor's future in "Captain America 3" is still uncertain since filmmakers have yet to make a definite plan for his character.
A separate interview with Movies.Com could further fuel speculations on whether Chris Evans would reprise his role as Captain America in the third franchise. Anthony Russo revealed scriptwriters have added new characters to the movie.
"I can't divulge who is going to be in the film, but I think the fans are going to freak out when they hear about it," he said.
It's been reported that Jeremy Renner may make an appearance in the third installment as Hawkeye. However, as to the other surprise characters in the film, the Russo brothers declined to reveal any details.
The director seemed pretty clear when he said that Cap and Winter Soldier's relationship, which was never resolved in the sequel, will be revisited in "Captain America 3." Russo claims it would "definitely form one layer of the next movie" due to the "philosophical and emotional questions" it triggers.
Additionally, the director claims they want to keep Captain America moving "further forward into the modern age." "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" was just the beginning.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family