Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao Boxing Education Institute to Open in China
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 29, 2014 9:17 AM EST
Eight-division titleholder Manny Pacquiao is certainly spreading his wings beyond boxing, one more indicator that his retirement from the ring is just around the corner. On Thursday, he said in Macau that he plans to open a Manny Pacquiao Institute in China. The first campus would be in Beijing.
The announcement comes on the heels of his appointment as playing coach of a Philippine professional basketball team.
Pacquiao said he decided to open the boxing school in China because the country is capable of producing world boxing champions and is already famous for being the home of accomplished fighters and Olympic medalists.
"They just need some knowledge about boxing and should be taught the basics," Pacquiao was quoted by Pep.ph.
He plans to visit the boxing training school at least once a month once it starts operations, said the Filipino boxer who is fighting American boxer Chris Algieri in Macau on Nov 23.
Pacquiao believes opening the boxing school in China could help repair the tenuous diplomatic relationship between the two countries over territorial dispute since Chinese government officials would be involved in the project.
The boxer was in Shanghai and is in Macau for his 6-city promo tour with Algiere. From China, they would fly to San Francisco, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and New York for the remaining leg of their much-anticipated bout.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks