Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao Boxing Education Institute to Open in China
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 29, 2014 9:17 AM EST
Eight-division titleholder Manny Pacquiao is certainly spreading his wings beyond boxing, one more indicator that his retirement from the ring is just around the corner. On Thursday, he said in Macau that he plans to open a Manny Pacquiao Institute in China. The first campus would be in Beijing.
The announcement comes on the heels of his appointment as playing coach of a Philippine professional basketball team.
Pacquiao said he decided to open the boxing school in China because the country is capable of producing world boxing champions and is already famous for being the home of accomplished fighters and Olympic medalists.
"They just need some knowledge about boxing and should be taught the basics," Pacquiao was quoted by Pep.ph.
He plans to visit the boxing training school at least once a month once it starts operations, said the Filipino boxer who is fighting American boxer Chris Algieri in Macau on Nov 23.
Pacquiao believes opening the boxing school in China could help repair the tenuous diplomatic relationship between the two countries over territorial dispute since Chinese government officials would be involved in the project.
The boxer was in Shanghai and is in Macau for his 6-city promo tour with Algiere. From China, they would fly to San Francisco, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and New York for the remaining leg of their much-anticipated bout.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report