Sophia Vergara Defends Against Critics Calling Her Emmys Skit Sexist [VIDEO]
By Christine Jane Caparras | August 29, 2014 8:56 AM EST
Sophia Vergara stole the show in this year's Primetime Emmy Awards and it was not because she won an individual acting award nor was it because of "Modern Family" winning the Emmy for "Best Comedy Series" for the fifth year in succession. Vergara was the talk of the town after some viewers were offended by a skit she was involved in during the program, which was deemed sexist by some.
The Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Chairman Bruce Rosenblum speaks as actress Sofia Vergara from 'Modern Family' slowly spins on a turntable during the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards in Los Angeles, California August 25, 2014.
Vergara took the stage alongside Bruce Rosenblum, the chairman of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, the award-giving body behind the Emmys. Rosenblum asked Vergara to step up to a revolving pedestal on stage. The motion awarded the audience a 360-degree view of the attractive star. [video below]
As Vergara rotated on stage, she even took a moment to slightly shake her booty and wave at the crowd, Meanwhile, Rosenblum is on the mic talking about the Academy and the merits of quality television programs.
After the show, negative reactions came out on social media and in the press, accusing the skit as sexist and objectifying women. Vergara was quick to defend the skit, though. In the press room after the event, Vergara said that it was the opposite of sexism.
"I think it's absolutely the opposite... I absolutely think it's ridiculous. It means that somebody can be hot and also be funny and make fun of herself," she said. Vergara went on further complaining that the critics have no sense of humour.
In the skit, Rosenblum starts out by saying that American Television has had a meaningful impact around the world before asking Vergara to step onto the platform. Rosenblum then talks about the Academy's membership and goals. By this time, the audience is catching on and Rosenblum continues his speech amid laughter. He further expands on the merits of American TV and emphasizes that its success is based on good story-telling, always giving audiences something "compelling" to watch. The insinuation that audiences are watching television for hot stars like Vergara is quite obvious, and the audience laughs at the joke.
Vergara steps off the platform and jokingly protests by saying: "This is why I stopped doing the car shows!"
Vergara is part of the "Modern Family" cast and plays the role of Gloria, the sexy, hot young second wife of family patriarch Jay Pritchett. See the video of the controversial skit below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Episode 11 On Hold, Return Date, Title And Synopsis Of New Episode
- ‘The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies’ New Images Of Bard And Smaug In Battle
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers – ‘Coda’: Midseason Finale Is ‘Heartbreaking’ And ‘Gut-Wrenching’
- 'Arrow' Season 3 Updates: Oliver Queen And Team Go To Barry Allen's Central City (Spoilers)
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Ramsay Bolton
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Canada Jetlines Files For C$50 Million Airline IPO