Sophia Vergara Defends Against Critics Calling Her Emmys Skit Sexist [VIDEO]
By Christine Jane Caparras | August 29, 2014 8:56 AM EST
Sophia Vergara stole the show in this year's Primetime Emmy Awards and it was not because she won an individual acting award nor was it because of "Modern Family" winning the Emmy for "Best Comedy Series" for the fifth year in succession. Vergara was the talk of the town after some viewers were offended by a skit she was involved in during the program, which was deemed sexist by some.
The Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Chairman Bruce Rosenblum speaks as actress Sofia Vergara from 'Modern Family' slowly spins on a turntable during the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards in Los Angeles, California August 25, 2014.
Vergara took the stage alongside Bruce Rosenblum, the chairman of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, the award-giving body behind the Emmys. Rosenblum asked Vergara to step up to a revolving pedestal on stage. The motion awarded the audience a 360-degree view of the attractive star. [video below]
As Vergara rotated on stage, she even took a moment to slightly shake her booty and wave at the crowd, Meanwhile, Rosenblum is on the mic talking about the Academy and the merits of quality television programs.
After the show, negative reactions came out on social media and in the press, accusing the skit as sexist and objectifying women. Vergara was quick to defend the skit, though. In the press room after the event, Vergara said that it was the opposite of sexism.
"I think it's absolutely the opposite... I absolutely think it's ridiculous. It means that somebody can be hot and also be funny and make fun of herself," she said. Vergara went on further complaining that the critics have no sense of humour.
In the skit, Rosenblum starts out by saying that American Television has had a meaningful impact around the world before asking Vergara to step onto the platform. Rosenblum then talks about the Academy's membership and goals. By this time, the audience is catching on and Rosenblum continues his speech amid laughter. He further expands on the merits of American TV and emphasizes that its success is based on good story-telling, always giving audiences something "compelling" to watch. The insinuation that audiences are watching television for hot stars like Vergara is quite obvious, and the audience laughs at the joke.
Vergara steps off the platform and jokingly protests by saying: "This is why I stopped doing the car shows!"
Vergara is part of the "Modern Family" cast and plays the role of Gloria, the sexy, hot young second wife of family patriarch Jay Pritchett. See the video of the controversial skit below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu