Sophia Vergara Defends Against Critics Calling Her Emmys Skit Sexist [VIDEO]
By Christine Jane Caparras | August 29, 2014 8:56 AM EST
Sophia Vergara stole the show in this year's Primetime Emmy Awards and it was not because she won an individual acting award nor was it because of "Modern Family" winning the Emmy for "Best Comedy Series" for the fifth year in succession. Vergara was the talk of the town after some viewers were offended by a skit she was involved in during the program, which was deemed sexist by some.
The Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Chairman Bruce Rosenblum speaks as actress Sofia Vergara from 'Modern Family' slowly spins on a turntable during the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards in Los Angeles, California August 25, 2014.
Vergara took the stage alongside Bruce Rosenblum, the chairman of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, the award-giving body behind the Emmys. Rosenblum asked Vergara to step up to a revolving pedestal on stage. The motion awarded the audience a 360-degree view of the attractive star. [video below]
As Vergara rotated on stage, she even took a moment to slightly shake her booty and wave at the crowd, Meanwhile, Rosenblum is on the mic talking about the Academy and the merits of quality television programs.
After the show, negative reactions came out on social media and in the press, accusing the skit as sexist and objectifying women. Vergara was quick to defend the skit, though. In the press room after the event, Vergara said that it was the opposite of sexism.
"I think it's absolutely the opposite... I absolutely think it's ridiculous. It means that somebody can be hot and also be funny and make fun of herself," she said. Vergara went on further complaining that the critics have no sense of humour.
In the skit, Rosenblum starts out by saying that American Television has had a meaningful impact around the world before asking Vergara to step onto the platform. Rosenblum then talks about the Academy's membership and goals. By this time, the audience is catching on and Rosenblum continues his speech amid laughter. He further expands on the merits of American TV and emphasizes that its success is based on good story-telling, always giving audiences something "compelling" to watch. The insinuation that audiences are watching television for hot stars like Vergara is quite obvious, and the audience laughs at the joke.
Vergara steps off the platform and jokingly protests by saying: "This is why I stopped doing the car shows!"
Vergara is part of the "Modern Family" cast and plays the role of Gloria, the sexy, hot young second wife of family patriarch Jay Pritchett. See the video of the controversial skit below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions