Transfer News: Arsenal And Man Utd Linked Mehdi Benatia Signs With Bayern Munich
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 28, 2014 9:59 PM EST
Highly rated defender Mehdi Benatia, who was linked with Arsenal and Manchester United, has already signed with Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich.
Bayern Munich's new player Mehdi Benatia attends a news conference at Bayern Munich's headquarters together with the club's media director Markus Hoerwick, CFO Jan-Christian Dreesen and sporting director Matthias Sammer (R-L) in Munich, August 28, 2014.
The former AS Roma man signed a five-year contract with Die Roten, with a reported transfer fee of £23million.
"It's a great opportunity for me," the 27-year-old said.
"I'm playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world now."
He helped the Giallorossi to a second place finish last season in the Serie A, which booked them a group stage slot in the Champions League.
Meanwhile, sporting director Matthias Sammer was pleased with what had transpired as he sees Benatia to be a key defensive man, who will be fielded in in lieu of injured Javi Martinez.
"I'm delighted Mehdi has decided to join us," said Sammer.
"He's strong, tough in the tackle and a good passer of the ball. He has all the attributes to help him succeed at FC Bayern."
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch