Former Arsenal Shot-Stopper Manuel Almunia Forced To Leave Football After Heart Problem Discovery
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 28, 2014 9:18 PM EST
Former Arsenal shot-stopper Manuel Almunia had to leave the game of football following a discovery that he had a heart problem.
The 37-year-old was supposed to move to Serie A side Cagliari on a free transfer, but medical tests revealed that his life will be in peril, should he continue to play.
"I can confirm that Manuel Almunia failed a medical due to a heart condition,I can confirm that Manuel Almunia failed a medical due to a heart condition," said Cagliari spokesperson Alessandro Steri.
"Further tests done have revealed he is suffering from an apical hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM)."
HCM is a condition where tissues of a certain portion of the heart is thickened, which, most of the times, is asymptomatic, and is the leading cause of sudden cardiac death in athletes.
Meanwhile, the Professional Footballers' Association sympathised with the Spanish national's circumstance.
"Manuel Almunia has had to retire after being diagnosed with a heart condition. All at the PFA wish him well for the future." the Association tweeted.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight