Former Arsenal Shot-Stopper Manuel Almunia Forced To Leave Football After Heart Problem Discovery
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 28, 2014 9:18 PM EST
Former Arsenal shot-stopper Manuel Almunia had to leave the game of football following a discovery that he had a heart problem.
The 37-year-old was supposed to move to Serie A side Cagliari on a free transfer, but medical tests revealed that his life will be in peril, should he continue to play.
"I can confirm that Manuel Almunia failed a medical due to a heart condition,I can confirm that Manuel Almunia failed a medical due to a heart condition," said Cagliari spokesperson Alessandro Steri.
"Further tests done have revealed he is suffering from an apical hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM)."
HCM is a condition where tissues of a certain portion of the heart is thickened, which, most of the times, is asymptomatic, and is the leading cause of sudden cardiac death in athletes.
Meanwhile, the Professional Footballers' Association sympathised with the Spanish national's circumstance.
"Manuel Almunia has had to retire after being diagnosed with a heart condition. All at the PFA wish him well for the future." the Association tweeted.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers