2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Lithuania
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 28, 2014 9:05 PM EST
Lithuania is one of the participating nations in the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup that presents a big threat not only to the teams in its group, but also to the United States. It currently ranks fourth in the world rankings.
The squad of the European country also boasts talents from the National Basketball Association (NBA). Two of the players to keep an eye on are Toronto Raptors' Jonas Valanciunas and Houston Rockets' Donatas Motiejunas. They may miss Robertas Javtokas and Linas Kleiza, who were unable to join the team because of health issues, and scoring guard Mantas Kalnietas reportedly might sit the entire tournament due a dislocated collarbone, but they have enough players to help fill the gap.
Lithuania is an experienced squad that has appeared in the Olympic Games six times, winning bronze medals in 1992, 1996, and 2000. They also won bronze in the 2010 FIBA Basketball World Cup. Lithuania is also a regular in the FIBA EuroBasket Championship and has participated in the tournament 12 times. They won a silver medal in the 2013 FIBA EuroBasket Championship.
They have played well in all its preparation matches and have only lost once against Brazil on Aug. 21. Lithuanian has played 14 friendlies, with nine matches held in their home turf. The Australian Boomers also lost to the Lithuanians in the exhibition match on Aug. 11.
They will start their campaign in the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup in Group D, alongside Australia, Angola, Slovenia, Mexico, and South Korea at Gran Canarias. The tournament will run from Aug. 30 to Sept. 14.
Lithuania World Cup Roster (Club/Position)
Martynas Pocius (Galatasaray Liv Hospital, TBL/Shooting Guard)
Adas Juskevicius (Lietuvos Rytas, LKL/Point Guard)
Mindaugas Kuzminskas (Unicaja Malaga, ACB/Small Forward)
Darius Lavrinovic (Grissin Bon Reggio Emilia, Lega A/Center)
Jonas Maciulus (Read Madrid, ACB/Small Forward)
Renaldas Seibutis (Darussafaka, TBL2/Guard)
Simas Jasaitis (Lokomotiv Kuban Krasnodar, PBL/Small Forward)
Donatas Motiejunas (Houston Rockets, NBA/Power Forward)
Ksistof Lavrinovic (Valencia Basket Club, ACB/Power Forward)
Paulius Jankunas (Zalgiris, LKL/Power Forward)
Jonas Valuncianas (Toronto Raptors, NBA/Center)
Sarunas Vasiliauskas (Trefl Sopot, PLK/Point Guard)
Video courtesy: YouTube/FIBA
MORE FIBA NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones