2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Lithuania
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 28, 2014 9:05 PM EST
Lithuania is one of the participating nations in the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup that presents a big threat not only to the teams in its group, but also to the United States. It currently ranks fourth in the world rankings.
The squad of the European country also boasts talents from the National Basketball Association (NBA). Two of the players to keep an eye on are Toronto Raptors' Jonas Valanciunas and Houston Rockets' Donatas Motiejunas. They may miss Robertas Javtokas and Linas Kleiza, who were unable to join the team because of health issues, and scoring guard Mantas Kalnietas reportedly might sit the entire tournament due a dislocated collarbone, but they have enough players to help fill the gap.
Lithuania is an experienced squad that has appeared in the Olympic Games six times, winning bronze medals in 1992, 1996, and 2000. They also won bronze in the 2010 FIBA Basketball World Cup. Lithuania is also a regular in the FIBA EuroBasket Championship and has participated in the tournament 12 times. They won a silver medal in the 2013 FIBA EuroBasket Championship.
They have played well in all its preparation matches and have only lost once against Brazil on Aug. 21. Lithuanian has played 14 friendlies, with nine matches held in their home turf. The Australian Boomers also lost to the Lithuanians in the exhibition match on Aug. 11.
They will start their campaign in the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup in Group D, alongside Australia, Angola, Slovenia, Mexico, and South Korea at Gran Canarias. The tournament will run from Aug. 30 to Sept. 14.
Lithuania World Cup Roster (Club/Position)
Martynas Pocius (Galatasaray Liv Hospital, TBL/Shooting Guard)
Adas Juskevicius (Lietuvos Rytas, LKL/Point Guard)
Mindaugas Kuzminskas (Unicaja Malaga, ACB/Small Forward)
Darius Lavrinovic (Grissin Bon Reggio Emilia, Lega A/Center)
Jonas Maciulus (Read Madrid, ACB/Small Forward)
Renaldas Seibutis (Darussafaka, TBL2/Guard)
Simas Jasaitis (Lokomotiv Kuban Krasnodar, PBL/Small Forward)
Donatas Motiejunas (Houston Rockets, NBA/Power Forward)
Ksistof Lavrinovic (Valencia Basket Club, ACB/Power Forward)
Paulius Jankunas (Zalgiris, LKL/Power Forward)
Jonas Valuncianas (Toronto Raptors, NBA/Center)
Sarunas Vasiliauskas (Trefl Sopot, PLK/Point Guard)
Video courtesy: YouTube/FIBA
MORE FIBA NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage