2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Lithuania
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 28, 2014 9:05 PM EST
Lithuania is one of the participating nations in the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup that presents a big threat not only to the teams in its group, but also to the United States. It currently ranks fourth in the world rankings.
The squad of the European country also boasts talents from the National Basketball Association (NBA). Two of the players to keep an eye on are Toronto Raptors' Jonas Valanciunas and Houston Rockets' Donatas Motiejunas. They may miss Robertas Javtokas and Linas Kleiza, who were unable to join the team because of health issues, and scoring guard Mantas Kalnietas reportedly might sit the entire tournament due a dislocated collarbone, but they have enough players to help fill the gap.
Lithuania is an experienced squad that has appeared in the Olympic Games six times, winning bronze medals in 1992, 1996, and 2000. They also won bronze in the 2010 FIBA Basketball World Cup. Lithuania is also a regular in the FIBA EuroBasket Championship and has participated in the tournament 12 times. They won a silver medal in the 2013 FIBA EuroBasket Championship.
They have played well in all its preparation matches and have only lost once against Brazil on Aug. 21. Lithuanian has played 14 friendlies, with nine matches held in their home turf. The Australian Boomers also lost to the Lithuanians in the exhibition match on Aug. 11.
They will start their campaign in the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup in Group D, alongside Australia, Angola, Slovenia, Mexico, and South Korea at Gran Canarias. The tournament will run from Aug. 30 to Sept. 14.
Lithuania World Cup Roster (Club/Position)
Martynas Pocius (Galatasaray Liv Hospital, TBL/Shooting Guard)
Adas Juskevicius (Lietuvos Rytas, LKL/Point Guard)
Mindaugas Kuzminskas (Unicaja Malaga, ACB/Small Forward)
Darius Lavrinovic (Grissin Bon Reggio Emilia, Lega A/Center)
Jonas Maciulus (Read Madrid, ACB/Small Forward)
Renaldas Seibutis (Darussafaka, TBL2/Guard)
Simas Jasaitis (Lokomotiv Kuban Krasnodar, PBL/Small Forward)
Donatas Motiejunas (Houston Rockets, NBA/Power Forward)
Ksistof Lavrinovic (Valencia Basket Club, ACB/Power Forward)
Paulius Jankunas (Zalgiris, LKL/Power Forward)
Jonas Valuncianas (Toronto Raptors, NBA/Center)
Sarunas Vasiliauskas (Trefl Sopot, PLK/Point Guard)
Video courtesy: YouTube/FIBA
MORE FIBA NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet