2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Lithuania
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 28, 2014 9:05 PM EST
Lithuania is one of the participating nations in the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup that presents a big threat not only to the teams in its group, but also to the United States. It currently ranks fourth in the world rankings.
The squad of the European country also boasts talents from the National Basketball Association (NBA). Two of the players to keep an eye on are Toronto Raptors' Jonas Valanciunas and Houston Rockets' Donatas Motiejunas. They may miss Robertas Javtokas and Linas Kleiza, who were unable to join the team because of health issues, and scoring guard Mantas Kalnietas reportedly might sit the entire tournament due a dislocated collarbone, but they have enough players to help fill the gap.
Lithuania is an experienced squad that has appeared in the Olympic Games six times, winning bronze medals in 1992, 1996, and 2000. They also won bronze in the 2010 FIBA Basketball World Cup. Lithuania is also a regular in the FIBA EuroBasket Championship and has participated in the tournament 12 times. They won a silver medal in the 2013 FIBA EuroBasket Championship.
They have played well in all its preparation matches and have only lost once against Brazil on Aug. 21. Lithuanian has played 14 friendlies, with nine matches held in their home turf. The Australian Boomers also lost to the Lithuanians in the exhibition match on Aug. 11.
They will start their campaign in the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup in Group D, alongside Australia, Angola, Slovenia, Mexico, and South Korea at Gran Canarias. The tournament will run from Aug. 30 to Sept. 14.
Lithuania World Cup Roster (Club/Position)
Martynas Pocius (Galatasaray Liv Hospital, TBL/Shooting Guard)
Adas Juskevicius (Lietuvos Rytas, LKL/Point Guard)
Mindaugas Kuzminskas (Unicaja Malaga, ACB/Small Forward)
Darius Lavrinovic (Grissin Bon Reggio Emilia, Lega A/Center)
Jonas Maciulus (Read Madrid, ACB/Small Forward)
Renaldas Seibutis (Darussafaka, TBL2/Guard)
Simas Jasaitis (Lokomotiv Kuban Krasnodar, PBL/Small Forward)
Donatas Motiejunas (Houston Rockets, NBA/Power Forward)
Ksistof Lavrinovic (Valencia Basket Club, ACB/Power Forward)
Paulius Jankunas (Zalgiris, LKL/Power Forward)
Jonas Valuncianas (Toronto Raptors, NBA/Center)
Sarunas Vasiliauskas (Trefl Sopot, PLK/Point Guard)
Video courtesy: YouTube/FIBA
MORE FIBA NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports