Bethe Correia Wants A Title Shot At Rhonda Rousey, Looking Forward To Dominating UFC 177
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 28, 2014 2:14 PM EST
Bethe Correia wants a shot at Rhonda Rousey but she would have to hurdle Shayna Baszler first before moving up the ladder another step.
Correia vs. Baszler was supposed to headline UFC 176 but due the cancellation that will go head to head this weekend instead at UFC 177. The undefeated Brazilian is so confident of dominating Baszler that she is already looking past her and forward to the biggest name in women's mixed martial arts - Rousey.
"I was training to fight [at UFC 176], and I was ready, but they changed the dates and made me hungrier than ever to fight and do what I have to do," Correia told MMAFighting.com. "I had more time to prepare, and I'm going to take it out on her [laughs]."
Baszler is hoping that her submission and ground work will be enough to deal a blow to the immaculate record of Correia who prefers striking positions to grappling fights. The Brazilian relays that she prepared for both scenarios as she has scouted her opponent's preference for wrestling matches. A win this weekend would put her ahead in the conversation to face the reigning women's bantamweight champion next.
Earlier this year, Correia already defeated one of the "Four Horsewomen" in Jessamyn Duke at UFC 172. She is looking to keep the winning streak going and send a message to the other three by dominating UFC 177. Dubbed as the "Pitbull", Correia believes that a third win in UFC and a 9-0 record over-all would all but seal a collision course with Rousey at the end of 2014 or early 2015.
She proclaims that she did not join the UFC to be just another fighter and her main goal is to snatch a title and keep it and nobody is getting in her way. She hopes that if she performs and impresses the higher ups they will honor her and give her a long awaited title shot.
"I think I deserve a title shot. I will be 3-0 in the UFC with another win. That's my dream and that's what I'm fighting for. Let them decide. If they think I deserve it, I will honor this chance and do a great show," Correia said.
She also relates that Rousey's greatest weapon is her confidence adding that most of the opponents that the MMA fighter and movie star faced were either lacking the nerve to topple her or respected her a lot not to threaten her. Rousey is coming of a 16-second win over Alexis Davis improving to 4-0 since joining the UFC banner.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon