Tennis' Big Four Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray Rule Forbes' Highest-Paid Athletes Of 2014
August 28, 2014 2:12 PM EST
Top 10 Highest-Paid Tennis Athletes Of 2014
Forbes has unveiled the list of the highest-paid tennis athletes of 2014. The athletes who comprised the 2014 list are the same tennis players who made the list in 2013. Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic retained the same spots at first and third places, respectively, while the rest were scrambled in the current list released on Aug. 25. The list is based on the pay checks that the tennis players have earned from June 2013 to June 2014.
Federer has retained the top spot with $56.2 million. A huge percentage of Federer's income came from his sponsor deals with Nike, Rolex, and Wilson to name a few. Federer reportedly receives more than $40 million a year from his endorsements alone.
Rafael Nadal has dethroned Maria Sharapova, who was 2013 list's second placer. The Spaniard is currently nursing a wrist injury which made him pull out of the 2014 US Open. According to Forbes, Nadal's total earnings is $44.5 million. Like Federer, a big portion of Nadal's earnings came from his endorsements. Nadal's income from sponsor deals is $30 million. He was at the fourth spot in Forbes' 2013 list.
Djokovic is sitting comfortably at the third spot with combined earnings of $33.1 million, but he has moved up the pay scale compared to his $26.9 income in 2013.
Maria Sharapova is successful on and off the tennis court. Despite missing the most of the major tournaments in the latter part of 2013, Sharapova has side-hustles such as her candy business Sugarpova and her partnership with the biggest companies around the globe. She is at fourth place this year with $24.4 million. Some of her sponsor deals are Nike, Avon, Samsung, Tag Heuer, and Evian among several others.
Li Na and Serena Williams swapped places in the 2013 and 2014 list. Li Na claimed the fifth spot from the American athlete in the current list with $23.6 million. Serena came in at sixth place with $22 million.
Andy Murray and Victoria Azarenka have also switched places. After Murray made history for the Brits becoming the first British athlete to win Wimbledon in 77 years, he has received huge bonuses from his sponsors Adidas and Head. He is at the seventh spot with total earnings of $19.2 million. Azarenka, on the other hand, has been plagued with a number of injuries in the current tennis season. Azarenka not only dropped in the latest Forbes' List of Highest-Paid Tennis athletes, but her earnings also plummeted. She earned $11.1 million from June 2013 to June 2013 as opposed to her $15.7 million earnings in 2013.
The last two seats are occupied by Kei Nishikori and Caroline Wozniacki at the ninth place and 10th place, in that order. Nishikori has $11 million and Wozniacki has earned $10.8 million.
- Budget 2014: Treasurer Joe Hockey Acknowledges Unpopularity of 1st Coalition Budget, Which Includes 16,000 Job Cuts & Deficit Tax
- Japan merchandise trade balance
- Could The Syrian Downing Of A Turkish Jet Bring In NATO?
- Breast Cancer iPhone App Enlists Hunky Men to Remind Women About Self-Examination
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast