Apologies To Beyonce And Jay Z Not Enough, BET Producer Suspended For Blue Ivy Hair Joke
By Annie Dee | August 28, 2014 1:35 PM EST
BET admits that the joke on Blue Ivy's hair was unbecoming and disrespectful, and the network suspended a producer.
Beyonce and Jay-Z are the world's highest-paid celebrity couple, according to the latest ranking from Forbes. The couple earned a combined $95 million over the past year.
On Monday, Karrueche Tran delivered a joke on Beyonce and Jay Z's 2-year-old daughter's hair at the BET's music video countdown show "106 & Park."
Page Six reports that after extending the apologies to the affected parties, the network decided that the responsible network producer should also be sacked. Karrueche Tran, who hosted the show, already apologized to the public and BET also cleared her of any misdoings.
During a segment on Blue Ivy's hypothetical thoughts during Sunday's MTV Video Music Awards, guest host Tran said: "I really did wake up like this, because my parents never comb my hair." This was the moment when Blue Ivy joined her mother onstage at the prestigious awards show. Even though Tran giggled and quickly apologized for the joke, viewers were still not happy.
The viewers' rection reached Stephen Hill, BET's President of Music Programming and Specials. As such, even before the sacking of the producer, Hill apologized publicly for the said joke on Twitter:
"Last night on 106 & Park there was a stupid, unthoughtful joke made about a young child. We apologize publically to the child's parents (and have done so privately) and we have taken punitive actions with those responsible. It was very bad judgment and we will serve you much better in the future. Oh, and please don't hate on Karrueche; it was NOT her fault. We also apologize to her for putting her in that position."
Hill shared that the network also extended their apologies directly to Blue Ivy's parents, Beyonce and Jay Z.
On the other hand, Tran, Chris Brown's ex-girlfriend, shared a lengthy new apology on her Instagram after receiving death threats over the joke.
"Past two days have been extremely draining.. As I geared up for a big day for myself - hosting a live show.. I never expected things to turn out this way.. I apologize to any and everyone who felt offended in any way by the comments made by BET executed through me.. I would never disrespect anyone's child in any way and anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE Beyoncé. My comments have been in complete shambles.. yes I am human too and yes I do make mistakes.. But all this negativity and death wishes are quite a lot.. Definitely a lesson learned from here forth.. Again, on behalf of MYSELF, my sincerest apologies #BeyHive," Tran wrote.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft