Egyptian Feminist Receives Death Threats, The Truth Behind Her Bold Statement To ISIS
By Riza Ornos | August 28, 2014 1:32 PM EST
After uploading a controversial picture on her Facebook account, Egyptian feminist Aliaa Magda Elmahdy is reportedly receiving a number of death threats. Elmahdy recently made a lot of buzz when she posted a picture of herself naked while bleeding on the IS flag, while another unidentified woman is defecating on it.
A masked Islamic State militant holding a knife speaks next to man purported to be U.S. journalist James Foley at an unknown location in this still image from an undated video posted on a social media website.
With the message "Inshallah [Allah willing], your throat got slit in the street, within days," the threat was all over her Facebook account and some even posted threats on her Twitter account. The 23-year-old blogger is a well-known Egyptian activist and her latest stunt appears to be a protest against the Islamic terrorist group who recently made a bold statement by beheading an American journalist and posted the video on Facebook.
Now making a lot chaos in northern Iraq and Syria, the terrorist group is known for using social media to have their message known to the world, and this is what Elmahdy is trying to do. She raised the stakes against the ISIS group when she posted her nude picture on Saturday, Aug. 23, and was removed from the site due to explicit content.
Many are still wondering the reason why Aliaa posted the nude picture of her and the IS flag but fellow activist Inna Shevchenko speaks up the reason behind the controversial photo. A founder of the feminist group FEMEN, the Ukranian activist told Paris Match during her latest interview that they are "not afraid of being criticized" and finds it "hypocritical" for others to call Aliaa's image violent as compared to the Islamic group's violent actions towards women.
Still refusing to talk to the media, Shevchenko answered a few questions from VICE News when she asked about their intention to post the image on social media. A member of FEMEN since 2012, Elmahdy and the feminist group are supporting each other to have their message on issues especially on religion spread out across the Arab world.
"With the picture we want to criticize the killings, rapes, and public executions by Islamic fascists, who are breaking news," revealed the FEMEN founder. "This is what the Islamic State wants. They want the world to obey their ideas. Spreading their video messages of executions and sharing their speeches, we do a good job for them, we serve the Islamic State. Instead we should spread our message to them. Enough of tolerance! Don't be scared to offend. Let's hit them back with our answers, instead of giving them more space. The world is in fear, exactly as the Islamic State wants. We call not to fear them, but to resist them."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine