Sony Xperia M2 Aqua Buyer's Guide: Reasons Why Upgrade From Xperia V Or Xperia ZR
By Ryan Inoyori | August 28, 2014 1:26 PM EST
Sony's new mid-range smartphone Xperia M2 Aqua features waterproof factor and dust tight certification which can be a good option for users of Xperia V and Xperia ZR looking for similar technologies.
Ingress Protection Level
Sony Xperia M2 Aqua boasts IP 65/68 certification level against water and dust. IP 65/68 is higher compared to the IP 55/57 of Xperia V and Xperia ZR. IP 65/68 on Xperia M2 Aqua offers total protection against dust and protection against low-pressure water jets and safety from water damage within 30 minutes under 1.5 metres depth of freshwater. Xperia V and Xperia ZR water protection is limited for up to 30 minutes under one metre of depth only.
Decent Display Screen
Xperia M2 Aqua has 4.8 inches of display screen with qHD resolution and IPS LCD technology that provides wider viewing angles compared to TFT screens. Though, Xperia V and Xperia ZR have the edge on the HD display resolution but offers smaller screen size of 4.3 inches and 4.55 inches, respectively.
Latest Software Version
Software is another advantage of Xperia M2 Aqua especially the device will initially run with Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS. Xperia V has been confirmed to remain on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean as its final major software update while Xperia ZR is nearing to its end of life cycle. Owners of Xperia M2 Aqua can expect two major firmware updates after Android KitKat including Android 5.0 L.
Sony Mobile installed a decent 8 MP camera lens on Xperia M2 Aqua with full HD 1080p video recording. It is lower compared to the 13 MP rear camera lenses installed on Xperia V and Xperia ZR but Xperia M2 Aqua features Sony Exmor RS mobile image sensor just like with Xperia ZR. Moreover, it also boasts several camera features such as HDR mode, SteadyShot video stabiliser, a pulsed LED flash support and downloadable camera apps.
Performance and Battery Life
Since Xperia M2 Aqua is a newer smartphone than Xperia V and Xperia ZR, it is equipped with a new processor model that has improved performance and better battery efficiency. Moreover, its battery unit has 2300 mAh capacity similar to Xperia ZR that is higher than the 1750 mAh offered by Xperia V. Check the processor and graphics chipset models with clock speed below:
Sony Xperia M2 Aqua
Sony Xperia ZR
Sony Xperia V
1.2 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 400
1.5 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon APQ8064
1.5 GHz dual-core from Qualcomm
Adreno 305 GPU chipset
Adreno 320 GPU chipset
Adreno 225 GPU chipset
Sony Xperia M2 Aqua will roll-out starting from autumn of 2014 to several markets including Latin America, Asia Pacific and Europe. Xperia M2 Aqua is also compatible with Sony accessories such as SmartBand SWR10 and the Lifelog app.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- How To Play 4K Graphics Quality On 1080p Games With Any Monitor Using NVIDIA Graphics Cards
- PS4 v. Xbox One: More Details For Firmware 2.0 Update, Xbox Screenshot Feature And Paid Xbox Music Emerge
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS