Doc Rivers Signs 5-Year Extension With Los Angeles Clippers
By James Patrick Quizon | August 28, 2014 1:09 PM EST
NBA: Playoffs-Golden State Warriors at Los Angeles Clippers
The Clippers’ official website announced the contract extension in a press release.
“This is an important day for this organization. I am excited to work with Doc for a long time as we build a championship culture that will deliver results both on and off the court. Not only is Doc one of the best coaches and executives in the game, but he continually embodies the hard core, committed and resilient character and winning culture that the Clippers represent,” New Los Angeles owner Steve Ballmer, who replaced the controversial Donald Sterling in the 2014 offseason, said.
Previously with the Boston Celtics, Rivers joined the Clippers in 2013 and immediately made his mark by bringing the Clippers to a 57-25 win-loss record in the 2013-2014 season. The record, which is the best in franchise history, got the Clippers the Pacific Division title for the second straight year.
“Steve has shown a clear and determined desire to make the Clippers one of the most elite, first-class and championship organizations in all of professional sports,” Rivers said in the same press release.
“We know we have work to do to get there, but I am motivated by the challenge and thankful for the opportunity to stand together with Steve as we continue to move toward our goal of winning an NBA title.”
Rivers, who was in the second year of the initial three-year deal, got a slight increase from his previous contract worth $21 million over that span. Rivers also coached the Orlando Magic (1999 to 2003) and the Celtics (2004 to 2013).
Rivers is also one of the few NBA coaches with dual coaching and front office roles. Stan Van Gundy of the Detroit Pistons and Flip Saunders of the Minnesota Timberwolves assume the same roles with their respective franchises.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories