Doc Rivers Signs 5-Year Extension With Los Angeles Clippers
By James Patrick Quizon | August 28, 2014 1:09 PM EST
NBA: Playoffs-Golden State Warriors at Los Angeles Clippers
The Clippers’ official website announced the contract extension in a press release.
“This is an important day for this organization. I am excited to work with Doc for a long time as we build a championship culture that will deliver results both on and off the court. Not only is Doc one of the best coaches and executives in the game, but he continually embodies the hard core, committed and resilient character and winning culture that the Clippers represent,” New Los Angeles owner Steve Ballmer, who replaced the controversial Donald Sterling in the 2014 offseason, said.
Previously with the Boston Celtics, Rivers joined the Clippers in 2013 and immediately made his mark by bringing the Clippers to a 57-25 win-loss record in the 2013-2014 season. The record, which is the best in franchise history, got the Clippers the Pacific Division title for the second straight year.
“Steve has shown a clear and determined desire to make the Clippers one of the most elite, first-class and championship organizations in all of professional sports,” Rivers said in the same press release.
“We know we have work to do to get there, but I am motivated by the challenge and thankful for the opportunity to stand together with Steve as we continue to move toward our goal of winning an NBA title.”
Rivers, who was in the second year of the initial three-year deal, got a slight increase from his previous contract worth $21 million over that span. Rivers also coached the Orlando Magic (1999 to 2003) and the Celtics (2004 to 2013).
Rivers is also one of the few NBA coaches with dual coaching and front office roles. Stan Van Gundy of the Detroit Pistons and Flip Saunders of the Minnesota Timberwolves assume the same roles with their respective franchises.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments