Doc Rivers Signs 5-Year Extension With Los Angeles Clippers
By James Patrick Quizon | August 28, 2014 1:09 PM EST
NBA: Playoffs-Golden State Warriors at Los Angeles Clippers
The Clippers’ official website announced the contract extension in a press release.
“This is an important day for this organization. I am excited to work with Doc for a long time as we build a championship culture that will deliver results both on and off the court. Not only is Doc one of the best coaches and executives in the game, but he continually embodies the hard core, committed and resilient character and winning culture that the Clippers represent,” New Los Angeles owner Steve Ballmer, who replaced the controversial Donald Sterling in the 2014 offseason, said.
Previously with the Boston Celtics, Rivers joined the Clippers in 2013 and immediately made his mark by bringing the Clippers to a 57-25 win-loss record in the 2013-2014 season. The record, which is the best in franchise history, got the Clippers the Pacific Division title for the second straight year.
“Steve has shown a clear and determined desire to make the Clippers one of the most elite, first-class and championship organizations in all of professional sports,” Rivers said in the same press release.
“We know we have work to do to get there, but I am motivated by the challenge and thankful for the opportunity to stand together with Steve as we continue to move toward our goal of winning an NBA title.”
Rivers, who was in the second year of the initial three-year deal, got a slight increase from his previous contract worth $21 million over that span. Rivers also coached the Orlando Magic (1999 to 2003) and the Celtics (2004 to 2013).
Rivers is also one of the few NBA coaches with dual coaching and front office roles. Stan Van Gundy of the Detroit Pistons and Flip Saunders of the Minnesota Timberwolves assume the same roles with their respective franchises.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate