MTV Avoided Similar Miley Cyrus Twerking Controversy: Parents Television Council Relieved With Nicki Minaj's 'Anaconda' Performance
By Annie Dee | August 28, 2014 1:00 PM EST
Even though Nicki Minaj was not holding anything back on her 2014 MTV Video Music Awards performance, her twerking performance on TV did not rouse parents' ire as Miley Cyrus's 2013 twerking did. While it was very memorable live and some would even say it bested Miley's, MTV reportedly did everything not to cause a ruckus among home viewers, especially the parents of the young fans.
Singer Nicki Minaj poses backstage during the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards in Inglewood, California August 24, 2014.
Page Six reports that even though Nicki Minaj's VMAs performance is as racy as it could be, it did not warrant a "mature audiences" rating from the network. According to Page Six, even though the song's video featured Nicki in a thong and giving Drake a lap dance, the network made sure her live performance on VMAs would be shot in such a way that young fans and their parents at home would not feel affronted. As such, the show was rated TV-14. MTV made sure that camera angles were all done strategically to focus only on the rapper's upper body.
The network took a beating last year for Miley Cyrus' raunchy number with Robin Thicke, so MTV made sure it would not happen this time. Prior to the show, the Parents Television Council even sent a letter to the network stating what parents do not want to see in this year's show.
It seems parents are satisfied with MTV's strategic presenting of the said racy performance.
"It wasn't as racy as we were anticipating," shared Melissa Henson, director of the Parents Television Council. "What we were expecting to see was what was in the video - a guy up on the stage and her performing lap dances."
"Her costume was less revealing during the VMAs than it was in the music video. The elements were there, but the most offensive content was edited out. Whether Nicki Minaj had anything to do with that or MTV or network standards and practices, I don't know, but we were relieved to see that it wasn't as bad as it might have been," the director added.
It was a different thing altogether during the live performance however. According to Hollywood Life, Nicki Minaj's performance on August 24 is not easy to forget, just like Miley's 2013 peformance.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1