Grigor Dimitrov Reveals How He And Maria Sharapova Got Together
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 28, 2014 12:03 PM EST
Grigor Dimitrov and Maria Sharapova seem very much together amidst recent rumours that their relationship is in trouble. In a recent interview, Dimitrov reminisced how their romance started. The Bulgarian athlete has revealed that winning Sharapova's heart didn't need relentless stalking or harassing, it all began with an email and the rest was history.
Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria reacts to winning the second set tie-break during his men's singles quarter-final tennis match against Andy Murray of Britain at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 2, 2014.
In Dimitrov's feature article for Vogue's September Issue, Dimitrov shared how a crafted, light-hearted, and funny email became a powerful romantic tool between him and the Russian tennis hottie. Dimitrov said that he was the one who made the first move.
"I was the initiator, pretty much," Dimitrov told Vogue.
"I sent her a funny email and she replied, and back and forth, and that was it," Dimitrov added.
According to Vogue, Dimitrov first saw Sharapova when he was only 14 years old. It was a match between Sharapova and Lindsay Davenport at the Staples Center.
Dimitrov has nothing but praises for his girlfriend of two years. He said Sharapova has determined will and dynamic independent mind, a woman who has a sense of direction, and knows what she wants in life.
"It's why she's the best at what she does."
Dimitrov and Sharapova are both participants of the 2014 US Open. Dimitrov has won his first round match against Ryan Harrison. He won the match in three straight sets, 6-2 7-6, 6-2. Dimitrov won the opening match easily, Harrison played a great game in the second set before eventually losing the chance to wrap it up after Dimitrov broke his serve, 5-5. The Bulgarian got back and regained control of the game in the third set.
"I have high expectations for myself," Dimtrov said after his first US Open win.
It was the first time that Dimitrov has won in the first round of the tournament. In the last three consecutive years, from 2011 to 2013, Dimitrov was ousted early in the first round of the Open. Sharapova, on the other hand, has advanced to the third round after beating Maria Kirilenko and Alexandra Dulgheru in the first round and second round, respectively.
MORE SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’