Grigor Dimitrov Reveals How He And Maria Sharapova Got Together
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 28, 2014 12:03 PM EST
Grigor Dimitrov and Maria Sharapova seem very much together amidst recent rumours that their relationship is in trouble. In a recent interview, Dimitrov reminisced how their romance started. The Bulgarian athlete has revealed that winning Sharapova's heart didn't need relentless stalking or harassing, it all began with an email and the rest was history.
Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria reacts to winning the second set tie-break during his men's singles quarter-final tennis match against Andy Murray of Britain at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 2, 2014.
In Dimitrov's feature article for Vogue's September Issue, Dimitrov shared how a crafted, light-hearted, and funny email became a powerful romantic tool between him and the Russian tennis hottie. Dimitrov said that he was the one who made the first move.
"I was the initiator, pretty much," Dimitrov told Vogue.
"I sent her a funny email and she replied, and back and forth, and that was it," Dimitrov added.
According to Vogue, Dimitrov first saw Sharapova when he was only 14 years old. It was a match between Sharapova and Lindsay Davenport at the Staples Center.
Dimitrov has nothing but praises for his girlfriend of two years. He said Sharapova has determined will and dynamic independent mind, a woman who has a sense of direction, and knows what she wants in life.
"It's why she's the best at what she does."
Dimitrov and Sharapova are both participants of the 2014 US Open. Dimitrov has won his first round match against Ryan Harrison. He won the match in three straight sets, 6-2 7-6, 6-2. Dimitrov won the opening match easily, Harrison played a great game in the second set before eventually losing the chance to wrap it up after Dimitrov broke his serve, 5-5. The Bulgarian got back and regained control of the game in the third set.
"I have high expectations for myself," Dimtrov said after his first US Open win.
It was the first time that Dimitrov has won in the first round of the tournament. In the last three consecutive years, from 2011 to 2013, Dimitrov was ousted early in the first round of the Open. Sharapova, on the other hand, has advanced to the third round after beating Maria Kirilenko and Alexandra Dulgheru in the first round and second round, respectively.
MORE SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy