Grigor Dimitrov Reveals How He And Maria Sharapova Got Together
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 28, 2014 12:03 PM EST
Grigor Dimitrov and Maria Sharapova seem very much together amidst recent rumours that their relationship is in trouble. In a recent interview, Dimitrov reminisced how their romance started. The Bulgarian athlete has revealed that winning Sharapova's heart didn't need relentless stalking or harassing, it all began with an email and the rest was history.
Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria reacts to winning the second set tie-break during his men's singles quarter-final tennis match against Andy Murray of Britain at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 2, 2014.
In Dimitrov's feature article for Vogue's September Issue, Dimitrov shared how a crafted, light-hearted, and funny email became a powerful romantic tool between him and the Russian tennis hottie. Dimitrov said that he was the one who made the first move.
"I was the initiator, pretty much," Dimitrov told Vogue.
"I sent her a funny email and she replied, and back and forth, and that was it," Dimitrov added.
According to Vogue, Dimitrov first saw Sharapova when he was only 14 years old. It was a match between Sharapova and Lindsay Davenport at the Staples Center.
Dimitrov has nothing but praises for his girlfriend of two years. He said Sharapova has determined will and dynamic independent mind, a woman who has a sense of direction, and knows what she wants in life.
"It's why she's the best at what she does."
Dimitrov and Sharapova are both participants of the 2014 US Open. Dimitrov has won his first round match against Ryan Harrison. He won the match in three straight sets, 6-2 7-6, 6-2. Dimitrov won the opening match easily, Harrison played a great game in the second set before eventually losing the chance to wrap it up after Dimitrov broke his serve, 5-5. The Bulgarian got back and regained control of the game in the third set.
"I have high expectations for myself," Dimtrov said after his first US Open win.
It was the first time that Dimitrov has won in the first round of the tournament. In the last three consecutive years, from 2011 to 2013, Dimitrov was ousted early in the first round of the Open. Sharapova, on the other hand, has advanced to the third round after beating Maria Kirilenko and Alexandra Dulgheru in the first round and second round, respectively.
MORE SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban Wants The Los Angeles Lakers To ‘Suck Forever’
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Avoiding Fight, Always Making Excuses— Manny Pacquiao
- Roger Federer News: Swiss Great Slams Umpire’s Conduct In Wake Of Alleged Row With Stan Wawrinka
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Germany, Not U.S., Is The World’s Favorite Country; UK, Canada, Australia Maintain Top 10 Spots