Film Buff and Real Estate Developer Buys Third Movie House in Greenwich Village
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 28, 2014 12:02 PM EST
Greenwich Village's Quad Cinema was bought by a film buff and real estate magnate Charles S. Cohen, a report on the Boston Herald said.
According to the report, the cinema would be renovated and will be turned into a repertory cinema, screening classics from Cohen's personal collection, including the works of film auteurs D.W. Griffith, Jean-Luc Goddard, Alfred Hitchcock, among many. Lectures and discussions will be conducted following film showings.
The cinema will also serve as a new venue for indie and foreign film screenings. Its proximity to New York University, Cohen noted, will allow it to gain an instant audience, according to the report.
Cohen said the movie house's previous owner, Maurice Kanbar, chose him to be the cinema's next "steward" despite better offers.
"This is a passionate labor of love for me," Cohen told the Boston Herald. "It was his baby and I'm the new parent."
It's no wonder Cohen received the nod from Kanbar as he had an impressive track record of reviving notable, old theatres such as New York's Academy Theater at Lighthouse International and the SilverScreen Theater within the Pacific Design Center in West Hollywood. He acquired the Pacific Design Center in 1999, according to a report on the Los Angeles Times.
In an earlier interview with The Real Deal, Cohen shared that his affinity for films started in high school. He said he initially dreamed of becoming a film director after doing some short films in high school and college but went on to pursue a law education. He ended up working in real estate through his family, which owns and operates Cohen Brothers Realty Corporation (CBRC).
"I had always been involved in real estate through my family, working summer jobs, and I guess just some osmosis. And it was a natural connection for me...I've been here now for over 30 years," he told The Real Deal.
Cohen is living proof that real estate investors can pursue their lifelong dreams or interests by investing in portfolios that symbolize them. Cohen's love for films, for example, led him to become a very important part of the film community by investing in and rebuilding old movie theaters that will be enjoyed by upcoming generations.
Marketing historical buildings and old cultural hotspots especially to big-name investors like Cohen could be one way real estate agents and brokers could boost their business. And they can target these investors with the use virtual tours technologies that showcase these properties' nostalgic charm and revenue potential.
Nestbuilder Agent is a tool that is accessible through listings site Nestbuilder.com. The tool allows agents to create professional agent profiles and virtual tours and videos out of listing photos. These tours can be shared automatically to the agent's network through social media platforms and email.
The Microvideo App is a platform targeted at brokerage firms allowing brokers and their agents to collaborate in creating listing video microsites and executing marketing campaigns.
Realbiz Media is a publicly traded company that offers its shares over-the-counter. Its stocks sold for $0.15 per piece on Monday, up by 15.13 percent from its previous close.
To learn more about Realbiz Media, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1.888.REAL.BIZ (888.732.5249).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Lamudi’s Top 5 Tourist Close-To-Nature Destinations In The Philippines
- 3 Key Changes The Real Estate Industry Is Expecting With ASEAN Integration In 2015
- $2B Lease By American Investor On Philippine Island For 25 Years
- Australia Second Highest Overpriced in World in Housing Prices
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia